Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana Mule Deer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana Mule Deer

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I would like to chase mule deer this year, and it seems that Montana has general tags for Nonresidents in some areas to rifle hunt. It's kind of hard for me to understand, but if anyone has any information on this or any insight (I could be totally wrong) I would appreciate it. I would love to chase mulies this year, and only have one preference point in Wyoming, but would rather not use it if there are leftover tags usually available, or general tags in Montana. Montana may be my only option because the only window I have to hunt is between Nov 22-Nov 28 , and I believe the general season ends December 1 in Montana, but don't know if these tags are only for whitetails? Thanks guys
huntfishtrap247

First Name: Paul
Last Name: P

Re: Montana Mule Deer

Postby Indian Summer » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Montana doesn't do much micro managing with their whitetails. If you read the deer regulations for the vast majority of units the General Deer license is good for mule deer bucks or either sex whitetail. Hunting in the Missouri River Breaks can be ok. But it's very hit or miss. All of the units I know require points to draw the deer permit.

Everywhere worth hunting in Wyoming or Colorado requires quite a few points. So I do think you are on the right track by deciding to try to hunt Montana on short notice. I wish I could help you out. What caliber of bucks are you hoping for?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Indian Summer wrote:Montana doesn't do much micro managing with their whitetails. If you read the deer regulations for the vast majority of units the General Deer license is good for mule deer bucks or either sex whitetail. Hunting in the Missouri River Breaks can be ok. Bit it's very hit or miss. All of the units I know require points to draw the deer permit.

Everywhere worth hunting in Wyoming or Colorado requires quite a few points. So I do think you are on the right track by deciding to try to hunt Montana on short notice. I wish I could help you out. What caliber of bucks are you hoping for?

I'm not looking for a monster, although I wouldnt pass one up! I have never shot a mule deer so I think I would be happy with any decent 2.5 year old or up.
huntfishtrap247

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

So a decent sized 3 by 3 would do? A small 4 point for sure?
Indian Summer

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Yes I would take either of those in a heart beat. Like I said I wouldnt be too picky, it would be my first muley ever! Montana I believe is my only option because I would only be able to hunt over the week of thanksgiving (graduate school doesn't leave much time to chase mule deer!)
huntfishtrap247

Postby Indian Summer » 01 27, 2015 •  [Post 6]

You can accomplish that goal in unit 292. You need a permit to hunt that area but it is an unlimited permit so guaranteed. Lots of Plum Creek Timber Company area so not super thick and great deer habitat. Open to the public. It's not too far east of Missoula so if you needed anything town is very convenient. I know a great meat processor, tannery, and taxidermist in the area too.

Keep in mind that if you get that permit you cannot hunt mule deer in any other unit. That is their way of keeping the number of hunters somewhat under control. If you decide to give it a try let me know. I don't have a pile of details but I can get you started. I had a friend kill a monster in there awhile back so they are there.

Also... I texted a friend in Missoula yesterday to see what he has to say. I'll let you know when he gets back to me. You have lots of time to decide right now.
Indian Summer

Postby Brendan » 01 27, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I'm interested in this subject too. I almost tagged out on an Elk on day 1 of my trip last year, and would like to leave Muleys as a backup plan being that I'll have 2 weeks on my hand again this year. For me, it would be the archery season in late September. (Just jinxed myself by even thinking it, I know...)

For 292 - do you need to apply in the draw? Or is this a permit I could get at the time I bought my license later? Would your recommendation for hunting area be different if hunting by bow in September? Same as above, not looking for a trophy, never even hunted muleys before.
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 01 27, 2015 •  [Post 8]

You could hunt it in bow season. It does require a permit so that has to be applied for by March 15th. If you go there it would be nice if you could tell anything you learn to huntfishtrap247 to help him out. Pass it on!
Indian Summer

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 02, 2015 •  [Post 9]

If I were you guys I'd apply for the limited entry units as your first choice and put 292 as your second. Chance at a good unit and guaranteed to hunt your second choice
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 02 02, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Why didn't I think of that? Doh!
Indian Summer

Postby Brendan » 02 03, 2015 •  [Post 11]

What's the policy if I find I can't hunt MT after buying a license or drawing a tag, but before the season starts? Can you get a partial refund?

I am applying for some lotteries in other states, and you never know what happens between now and then, especially coming solo from the other side of the country...
Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 02 03, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Hmmm, I was about to tell you that you can get at least a 50 to 80% refund up to a certain date if you return the license for any reason (or no particular reason) But I checked page 110 of the 2014 regs and it looks like they changed the refund policy. Probably because they no longer sell all of their licenses like they used to. Now the only situations they will issue a refund for are death, death of a family member, and documented medical emergency.

If you have any questions call 406-444-2950 for the licensing department.
Indian Summer

Postby elk.addict » 02 13, 2015 •  [Post 13]

If you're just hunting deer in late November, I'd personally hunt in SE MT. You're going to see a lot of bucks (both WT and MD), and you always stand a chance of getting a dandy if you're willing to hold out a while.

This area is a special permit for Elk, so if you are looking to hunt both deer and elk, you may want to go somewhere further west.
elk.addict

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 02 17, 2015 •  [Post 14]

elk.addict wrote:If you're just hunting deer in late November, I'd personally hunt in SE MT. You're going to see a lot of bucks (both WT and MD), and you always stand a chance of getting a dandy if you're willing to hold out a while.

This area is a special permit for Elk, so if you are looking to hunt both deer and elk, you may want to go somewhere further west.

There doesnt seem to be much public land in the SE portion of the state (at least not state/federal). Have you hunted it? Did you pay a trespass fee?
huntfishtrap247

Postby elk.addict » 02 18, 2015 •  [Post 15]

huntfishtrap247 wrote:
There doesnt seem to be much public land in the SE portion of the state (at least not state/federal). Have you hunted it? Did you pay a trespass fee?

In the Custer National Forest alone there's 1.3 million acres. Plus tons of BLM and huge block management areas.
elk.addict

Postby Indian Summer » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Riding through the Custer I always thought it looked like excellent deer country. But it's almost too easy of terrain so I wondered how much pressure there was. Also since the Crow res is right there I had to wonder how much game they are whacking over there.
Indian Summer

Postby elk.addict » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Most road hunt. It gets good if you're willing to hike.
elk.addict

Postby Brendan » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 18]

How would the SE / Custer area be during bow season? I'd sort of thought about this area last year, but didn't end up deer hunting, only elk in the western part of the state.

I was going back and forth on it, but I didn't end up putting my name in the draw (and won't be), so will be hunting general tag only....
Brendan

Postby elk.addict » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 19]

I hunted once in bow season. We didn't see any slammers like when hunting the rut, but there were some decent bucks to stalk. It was so much fun and frustrating at the same time.I have a lot to learn about sneaking up on mulies :)
elk.addict

Postby Brendan » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 20]

I've never hunted mulies, so I would not pass up a chance on any remotely decent buck if I was trying to stalk within bow range :D

But for me, priority is still my elk hunt because I can hunt whitetails at home, so who knows if I'll even get the chance.

Thanks!
Brendan

Postby Indian Summer » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 21]

I have a very interesting and unique method of hunting mule deer. It's a two man plan. If I get some time I'll make a thread on it.
Indian Summer