Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Your Best Elk Recipe?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Your Best Elk Recipe?

Postby Harmy » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anyone care to share their best home made recipes?

Here's 2 of my favorites I created in recent years.

Recipe 1: Goat cheese Rosemary stuffed Elk Steak covered with Peach Onion Chutney. This is actually better on pork loins but we love it on elk...

2TBS chopped fresh rosemary 1/2 lb plain Goat Cheese. Mix Rosemary into cheese.

Butterfly cut thick steaks (> 1 inch) and fill interior with cheese/Rosemary (about 1/8” thick). Fold steaks back and secure with tooth pick. Grill on BBQ to medium rare. I like to reserver some of the cheese rosemary and heat it up and pour on the cooked steak. When cooking the meat tends to absorb all the cheese or it runs off but still leaves lots of flavor in the meat.

Cover with Peach Onion Chutney

5 fresh peaches diced small
1 large sweet onion diced small
2 TBS olive oil
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar (or less if you don’t care for sweet flavored meat)
1/2 tea Allspice
1 Cup Cooking Sherry
1 1/2 tea salt
2 TBS mustard seeds

Cook onions in oil till translucent. Add peaches. Cook on med-low till they nearly dissolve (about 30 min). Add Sherry slowly to keep from sticking through cooking of peaches. Add remaining as needed. Add remaining ingredients and cook slowly until thick. I like to serve the Steak/Chutney on a bed of lightly olive oiled flat egg noodles. Would be good with wild rice as well.

Recipe 2:
Elk Filet Mignon with Blueberry/Raspberry compote.

Wrap steak in bacon. Place on halved sweet orange pepper. Broil low for 15 min. Serve on bed of mixed greens. Cover with compote.

Mushroom Risotto. Sauté risotto in butter till golden. Add 2 cups Elk demiglace (I make my own from the bones-great stock from elk). Soak dried Porcini mushrooms in cold water add to risotto (I collect these mushrooms from my elk scountig trips-Puffballs work well too). 2 teas salt. Don’t use the risotto spice packet.

Compote: combine ingredients and bring to slow boil. Cook on low till thick (about 45 min). Pour over meat. Even better on vanilla ice cream :P
½ cup red wine
1 quart fresh blueberries
1 pint fresh raspberries (use even less as they can overpower the blueberries).
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
5-6 anise seeds.
2 TBS rose water extract (Key ingredient here)
Thicken with corn starch if needed.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Re: Your Best Elk Recipe?

Postby Goneelkn » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Stuffed Backstrap;
Cut 1 1/2-2" thick steaks off backstrap
Make cut into top making a pocket out of the steak(like a pita bread)
Stuff with motzarella(?) cheese, chopped onion, and cooked bacon
Seal opening with two tootpicks

Put on the grill and enjoy either plated or on a bun.(be sure to remove toothpicks, Don't Ask :oops: )
Goneelkn

Your Best Elk Recipe?

Postby iRem » 06 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Bacon Wrapped Back Strap! It is what it is!!

Butterfly-cut back straps almost into bite sizes
Seasoning Salt and pepper
Slice of back wrapped around butterfly-cut of meat
Cook until bacon is done/meat medium rare to rare!

This is my go to for Deer and Elk, reason is my kids and wife love it this way only!! I also take it hunting with me and put chucks on a skewer season with salt and pepper and warm it up over the camp fire and eat it, we call it 'Meat on a Stick'!
iRem

Postby Harmy » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Just moving this one back up on the queue. Maybe Freebird will post his recipes now??? I am desperate to try more ideas. The stuffed backstrap was a good one.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I know this is not very fancy, but I still prefer thin (3/8-1/2 inch thick) steaks lightly coated with flour and fried well done. Simple and delicious.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ferris bugler » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I have two favorites. One with high quality steaks and a wild mushroom red wine sauce from this recipe

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/skwdmsh.htm

And the other is for elk Brasiole from my grandmothers recipe, which I will add below.

So here we go. Braciole Ingredients -Traditionally a flank steak but I used a peice of trim meat from the front shoulder of an elk. It was from the upper shoulder where it connects back to the ribs. Any flat steak will work. -2 hard boiled eggs -4 strips of bacon -Italien Parsley -Parmesian Cheese -A couple cloves of garlic -Crushed Red Pepper -Marinara Sauce -Salt and Pepper -Olive oil

This meal takes some feeling. Since the meat is rarely the same size you need to eyeball the amounts of everything. Cook with feeling.

Chop and mix the eggs, raw bacon, Italian Parsley, shredded Parmesian, garlic, and crushed red pepper. I would say there is about a 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper, but if you like a little spice add more.

Next put the steak in a plastic bag. Something like you would put vegies in at the grocery store. Then hammer it with the flat side of a mallet until it is nice and thin. This step takes a while and in my opinion I could have flattened this one out a little more.

Then salt and pepper both sides to your liking.

Next take your mix and spread it over the steak leaving a little space at the top edge.

Then wrap into a roll and tie together using butchers string.

Put enough oil in a heavy pot to cover the bottom and heat on high heat.

The oil needs to be nice and hot to brown the meat. Brown the meat on each side. It takes about 3 or four minutes to do each side. When you flip it to a new side make sure you move it to a hot part of the pot. This step is important so that the Braciole doesn't fall apart in the pot during the next step.

Now for the messy part. Pour enough marinara sauce to come almost to the top of the meat. Usually the pot is extrememly hot and the tomato sauce splatters everywhere, so be careful.

Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer. Apparently the real secret to making the dish is to leave the lid part way open.

And let it cook for a couple of hours, turning over occasionaly. I shot a calf this year so it was extremely tender and cooked in two hours. If it's an old cow maybe give it another half hour. Remove it from the pot. Cut the string off and slice it into half inch slices.

Serve it over pasta with some extra sauce from the pot and a little more Parmesian, salad with some Italian dressing and bread. Invite over some close friends and enjoy.

ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Magic » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 7]

We generally keep it simple. She gave the elk tenderloin a good coating with Mrs. Dash "Steak" Grilling Blend, seared it good in her cast iron griddle, and then popped it into the oven. It came out when it reached "medium" which is hot pink.
Attachments
DSCN1308 (Small).JPG
The camera flash washed it out, but the center was hot pink.
DSCN1308 (Small).JPG (169.12 KiB) Viewed 18928 times
DSCN1307 (Small).JPG
Served with a couple of veggies
DSCN1307 (Small).JPG (145.97 KiB) Viewed 18928 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Magic » 11 08, 2012 •  [Post 8]

The hind quarters were sectioned out and sliced into steaks. These were then run through a tenderizer (cube steaks) before vacuuming.

The steaks can be floured and fried or pan grilled such as these were.
Attachments
Photo079 (Small).jpg
Hind quarter steaks being tenderized
Photo079 (Small).jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
DSCN1295 (Small).JPG
vacuum packed cube steaks
DSCN1295 (Small).JPG (122.94 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
DSCN1297 (Small).JPG
pan grilled and served with fried rice and a salad.
DSCN1297 (Small).JPG (150.44 KiB) Viewed 18926 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby elk308 » 11 22, 2012 •  [Post 9]

That is a nice tenderizer Magic. I have been looking for a decent older one but no luck yet. I loved all the pics some really good ideas are forming...
elk308

First Name: ryan

Postby mattstanton » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

backstrap.

Bacon- thin sliced and cheap

toothpicks

cream cheese

teriyaki marinade

garlic powder (not garlic salt!)

pepper

pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices

polish sausage sliced thin

Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers (I use canned jalapenos)

onion- Cut into slivers 1 in. long

meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the venison out and cut 3/4 in filets.

Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Teriyaki marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded sausage in the middle.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 3 or 4 Jalapeno slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.

Now cook on the grill untill done. About five minutes before you think
they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.
mattstanton

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Pepper, Bacon and Elk Steak
This is for one elk steak so adjust to the amount you are Serving

1xElk Stake
2x Stipes of Bacon
1X Green Chilly Peper
Stake rub
Worcestershire Sauce
Tooth Picks

Turn Grill on as hot as you can get it. Take a bowl big enough for the steak to fit in. Then pour enough Worcestershire Sauce in the bottom to allow the steak to be dipped in and covered. Then pull the steak out and put in into another bowl and rub steak rub on to stake. Once steak rub is on lay stake on cutting board and add one Green Chilly ( Chilly Pepper should be about the size of the stake) then add two pieces of Bacon. Then put the tooth picks on to hold the Bacon and Chilly Peppers on the stake. Take the Steak to your grill place meat side down for 2 min then flip steak over to the bacon and chilly pepper and let cook till bacon is done. Its very simple and fast. If its a low end grade of meat make sure you tenderise it.
Oregoncombatvet

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Coleman

Postby POk3s » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I'm going to be trying a few of these in the near future!!!!

Looks good guys!!!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 28, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Yes sir they do!!! Awesome stuff here!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby In-S-Heart » 12 02, 2012 •  [Post 14]

This is very simple ... I use this for meat that is a bit "gamey tasting"

Either large roast or "fry chunks" (cubed steak) season the way you like it - set asside for a few hours.
2 cans of beef broth,
1 can of beef consume'
Mix together with some water (enough to cover the meat)

Place in a crock pot for 8 hours on high
I have a pressure cooker so I use that for 3 hours.

It comes out completely shreaded so use a strainer,
Mix some of the liquid (I start with about 1 cup) with some Bar-B-Q sauce (I use Sweet Baby Rays)
Mix that with the shreaded elk until you get the consistance you like.
Serve with pickles, cheese, peppers, onions, or what ever your fancy.

Very easy to freeze - take to elk camp - heat & eat, hand full of chips, cold drink - it is outstanding!
In-S-Heart

Postby caperoll/Scott » 12 03, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I have two that my family loves. Finger Steaks and Kabobs.
1. Finger steaks with Elk meat, First cut the steak into strip. Scramble six eggs set aside. Mix in large bowl Floor, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic salt, paprika, sage, cyan pepper and Kraft Parmesan Cheese. (I use a lot of cheese and cyan pepper in mine). Next place elk strip in egg wash then into floor mix. Place elk strip on a cookie sheet. Let stand until floor mix turns into a batter on the elk strips, I just put the elk strips on top of each other. It gets a little gooey, takes about ten minutes. Deep fry at 375, fry until golden brown, Finger steaks are done when they float to the top. Serve with BBQ sauce and your favorite Beer.

2. Kabobs. Cut elk meat into cubes, cut sweet onions, red, yellow and orange bell peppers and mushrooms into cubes and place on sticks. I then use Buddy’s Italian Dressing to marinate the Kabobs. Let stand for about ten minutes. Place on BBQ grill on low heat. Turn over after a few minutes, then brush with more dressing. The Dressing is a garlic and blue cheese Italian dressing. I get it from a small restaurant in Pocatello, Idaho called Buddy’s. You can buy pints and quarts of dressing over the counter. Enjoy.
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby JoeH2o » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 16]

mattstanton,

That recipe was awesome, thanks!
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby mattstanton » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

any time my friend! love it in fajitas as well. One of my other recipes is to cube it and saute it in a chili colorado sauce with diced carrots, celery, onion and green peppers over a bed of spanish rice and topped with shredded cheese.
mattstanton

Postby Birks » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Stuffed elk burgers:

2-3lb of ground elk. (will work with moose, deer, beef)

Seasoning:
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne or chile powder
1.5 tsp Brown sugar.

Filling #1
1 tbsp butter mixed with minced garlic and parsley
handful of copped mushrooms

Fillings #2
1tbsp Cream cheese mixed with Crab meat or lobster, and a few minced muschrooms (think of stuffed mushroom caps)
as much shredded cheese as you want gushing out of the burger.

mixed in all seasoning with the meat,
use a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop meat, place on wax paper
grab another sheed of wax paper, and put on top, flatten out elk meat with a bowl or plate. Flatten to roughly 1/4" or so.
put filling in center of flattened meat.
flatten another 1/3 cup and place on top of first one.
Pinch and roll edges together to form 1 burger with filling in the center

Toss on the BBQ and cook for a few min, the thin sides of the burger won't take long, make sure to let the filling cook a bit.
cover with all your favorite burger fixen's.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Birks » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Slow cooker wild game:

1 decent size roast, any style.
1 onion,
1 pack onion soup mix
salt & pepper
water

put Roast in slow cooker, frozen or thawed, won't matter.
enough water so bottom of slow cooker has around 1/4 inch of water in the bottom. Won't need any more, juices from elk will create more liquid.
pour onion soup mixed over roast, and in water,
chop onion and cover roast, and slow cooker base.

close the lid, put on low, cook for 6-8 hours, roast will be nice and tender.

If you want to make gravy from the Liqour:

Pour juices into large skillet or pot. Bring to a boil.
while that is boiling, melt about 2 tbsp of butter in a bowl, and slowly whisk in flour to butter until you the butter is as thick as you want your gravy to be. This is called a rue.

add rue to boiling liqour, and whisk it quickly while pouring. best if someone gives you a hand.
add graving browning if you like, but it's not really needed. the liqour will thicken to the same consistancy as your rue.

enjoy.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby easeup » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 20]

over at the RMEF website, look under the Carnivore Kitchen page. Chef John McGannon stuff is great.
the mrs and I just tried his weiner schnitzel elk this week at home and it is fantastic.
easeup

Postby pointysticks » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I'm pretty happy with salt pepper and fire. I hammer down the tougher cuts.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby six » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Best meat I have ever eaten in my life.

30 years ago on my very first elk hunt. My dad came strolling into camp late one night with 2 backstraps. We cut them up and grilled them on a stick over a open fire. Little salt and they were delicious.
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby elkmtngear » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 23]

ELK MOUNTAIN CHOPS

Ingredients:

4 large venison round steaks, or elk loin chops

4 slices of bacon

1 large onion (chopped)

1/2 cup beef bouillion

1/2 cup red wine *(for Paleo recipe, skip the wine, and double the bouillion)

1 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes, drained

1 8 oz can mushrooms

1 cup sour cream *(for Paleo recipe, substitute 1 can coconut milk, chilled, with a little lemon juice, whisk in a little coconut flour, stir in with pan reduction, simmer and thicken)

Procedure:

Trim all fat and white matter from chops. Then, marinate and chill.

To make the marinade: Combine 1/2 cup olive oil from sun dried tomates with 1/4 cup balsalmic vinegar. Add one teaspoon crushed black pepper. Whisk until creamy.

Another marinade variation: place chops in buttermilk, and refrigerate overnight.

After chops have been sufficiently marinated, remove from marinade, and rinse clean and pat dry. In a high sided skillet, cook bacon until done. Eat the bacon now, you’re probably getting hungry!

Over medium heat, sear the chops in the bacon grease on both sides, and then add the onions, and cook until clear. Add tomatoes, wine, and bouillion, reduce heat, and slowly simmer until the meat can be cut with a spoon (usually about 2 to 3 hours). Carefully remove the steaks, and place them on a plate in a warm oven.

Add sour cream and mushrooms to the “stuff” (reduction) left in the pan, stir to create a thick sauce, and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste, pour over the steaks, and serve!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Dang,,, I need to show this thread to my wife and have her get cook'in :D
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trophyhill » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Elk Fajita's

Claudes Fajita Marinade
bell peppers of all colors
jalapeños
Serrano peppers
red onion
extra virgin olive oil
flour tortillas
Mexican 5 cheese
sour crème
guacamole
elk strips from any part of the elk as long as it's not the stuff from the legs
beer of your choice

first I marinate the meat. while the meat is marinating I chop the vegies.
then I cook the meat on my disc and the vegies in the wok. I cook the veggies first about half way, take the wok off then cook the meat til its almost cooked to your liking then throw it all together in the wok and finish cooking together. then I take the wok off and put the disc back on and heat up the tortillas and melt the 5 cheese. add sour crème and guacamole if you choose. and the beer of your choice to wash down the heat. you can get balzy if you want and throw in a ghost pepper or habanero for extra heat. yum i'm making myself hungry!

i'd post a pic but it says the file is too big and every time I downsize a file for this site and try to enlarge it afterwards the pic gets all grainy :(
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby ladyelkhunter » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I'm going to have to try some of these! I'm a more simple, lightly coated in flour and fried kind also, but we cut and wrap our own meat each year. some of our "jerky/salami" meat we save and mark "camp meat" Small trimming chunks that we put on a stick and roast over the campfire! Kids love it and makes a great snack during the day! :D
ladyelkhunter

First Name: ladyelkhunter
Last Name: ladyelkhunter

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Trophyhill wrote:i'd post a pic but it says the file is too big and every time I downsize a file for this site and try to enlarge it afterwards the pic gets all grainy :(

Save the downsized pic as a different filename instead of trying to work all with one file.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel