Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My longest antelope hunt ever

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My longest antelope hunt ever

Postby Lefty » 10 07, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Wednesday my wife and I had a date night.
after a few hours and 5 miles I never found the buck I thought I was stalking.

And a cheap date. we ate at a Mexican restaurant that still has their prices from 2020.. $18.00 for both meals.
Yesterday morning I was on the two-track minutes before LST. I drove and glassed and glassed and glassed. 10:30 I got to a freshly graded BLM road,

I figured it was time to flush out some antelope by driving fast down the road ,, hoping antelope would want to race in front of me :lol: :lol:

about 10 miles in, when a herd of elk picked up the slack, two big bulls, 5 raghorns and easily a dozen spikes. I had counted 89, raced in front of me. Then got up to the elk crossing, with dozens of calves and a spike stuck on the far side of a sheep fence. Then more miles and more glassing and I spotted a couple dozen antelope with a couple of rutting bucks. Anyway they were on the move and I wasnt able to find them.

Then off to Arco for lunch. and a quick nap.

driving slow on a 2-trak a dozen does in front at a dried-up water tank,,,with a buck
I caught up to them and snuck over the hill with my pickup :oops:

Im zeroed with 175 gn at 250. but had 150's in.
The shot looked good but low, the buck was slowly spinning its way to the ground, The does running off.
Second shot I heard the smack when my scope settled. no antelope in view.

I spent 50 minutes looking for the buck :roll: I know the buck had to have gone straight down..

I went back to where I shot,, I wasn't looking for him where I killed him. 325-yard shot.
5:00 PM when I notched my tag. All the other antelope Ive shot were less than 4 hours in the field
Nice Idaho antelope. likely the last one Ill ever have a chance to shoot 15 1/8

20231007_155826.jpg
20231007_155826.jpg (4.38 MiB) Viewed 134 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H