Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

dog problem

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

dog problem

Postby wawhitey » 02 19, 2015 •  [Post 1]

So i bought a new house a couple months ago in an area that is mostly woods with only a couple houses nearby. Well as luck would have it the people who live a couple properties over (i have not met) have some mixed breed pitbull kind of dog running loose. I have it on my trail cameras on a regular basis chasing deer on my property. Caught it in the act a few weeks ago. I had a young 4x4 eating alfalfa 20 yards from my back door. I was watching it hoping its antlers would fall and that damn mutt showed up and ran it off. I chased the dog off and it hauled ass off my property yipping like i was killing it. Didnt help though. Just got back from alaska and my cams show it chasing deer through my property repeatedly while ive been gone. I need to go talk to these people i guess. Kind of frustrated. Im not the most understanding or level headed guy. How would you guys approach this situation? I like dogs, i really do, but this is unacceptable.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: dog problem

Postby Ghost » 02 20, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Whats the law in WA about un controlled dogs? I know here in PA you could call the dog warden and they would handle it.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby Kessler10 » 02 23, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Yup, just call proper authority and they will issue the owner a warning to keep their dog controlled on their own property, they usually will give the owner one or two chanced.

You could always try to confront the owner first but my guess would be that wont really help . I'm sure the dog has been running loose for a long time if its chasing deer on you property and finds its way home each time. Wouldn't plan on this stopping unless you act. Good Luck.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby wawhitey » 02 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Ive made up my mind on how im going to handle this (and it will be civilized). Paul or phantom, if you can delete this thread please do.
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 02 26, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Bring a pie. Introduce yourself.

Good luck bud.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby wawhitey » 04 05, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I decided to let the game warden handle things. He had a talk with the owners and the dog is now tied up while a fence is getting put in. Problem solved.
wawhitey

Postby BrianKY » 04 08, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I have never understood people letting their dogs run loose like that. We are in the middle of putting up a privacy fence and my lab didnt go outside unless I was with him and he was on a leash. We live in a neighborhood with kids who are always outside playing (kind of refreshing they arent strapped to a computer) and it is my responsibility as a home owner to keep my dog on my property. We have a few neighbors who have dogs that they let run loose with their kids, and some neighbors who just cant seem to keep their dogs in the back yard. One call to the city handled that though.
BrianKY