Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming Buck Down

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming Buck Down

Postby POk3s » 10 05, 2014 •  [Post 1]

After 16 days of hunting I finally saw a GOOD mule deer buck. Granted, the first 12 days of hunting was for elk but there's still big bucks around. I saw one and he would probably "score" better than this one but his frame wasn't as big.

After hunting a few areas that looked good on maps and google earth I planned to take 4 days and hunt where I've always hunted. My grandpa used to hunt this area before there were even any roads in except the highway! My dad has hunted it since with his buddies and they've taken some big deer. Like most places this area has gotten more popular but I'm usually able to escape the crowds a little bit.

After seeing over 20 does I finally saw a what I thought was a little 2 point. I decided I didn't have anything better to do and I couldn't see all of this high mountain basin so I decided to make my way over. I figured if there was one buck there might just be more. Well when I popped over the top it was a pleasant surprise to see somewhere around FIFTEEN bucks feeding. None of them had any idea I was there. There were also 6-10 does further below those bucks that hadn't busted me either. I slid my pack in front of me until my shooting lane was clear and started glassing bucks. I triple checked and made sure he was the biggest one. I had zeroed my gun at 200 yards and when I ranged him he was at 192. I could just feel that this adventure was all but over.

As I settled behind my gun and found the buck's shoulder I squeezed off the first shot. He immediately dropped and started rolling down the mountain. After about 60 yards he regained his feet and I let him have it again. For the second time he rolled down the mountain only this time maybe 20 yards. I had a third round jacked in and staring at him through my scope when again he regained his feet. Standing with his head low and pouring blood low and behind the shoulder. I waited a beat and when he was still standing I let him have a that third round. That time he was nose down and sliding down the mountain.

My goal was to take a 4 1/2 year old buck regardless of score. In a general, OTC unit that's a hard enough feet. Judging by his horns, his teeth, his body size, and his big horse head, I think I did just that.

I have something with big 3x3's lately. AND small 3x3's alike! I don't even know what it feels like to kill a 4 point anymore hahaha! This is my fourth 3 point in a row and second big mature 3.

Here are some pics.

POk3s

Re: Wyoming Buck Down

Postby redtop » 10 06, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Awesome! Isn't it surprising how big of bodies those big bucks have compared to a doe or little forky? His rack is heavy for a three point. Must be something about the genetics where you hunt that you get so many three points. Nothing wrong with that just surprising with that good mass. Great buck thanks for sharing.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 06, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Nice buck. Has really nice mass on him. Congrats.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby POk3s » 10 06, 2014 •  [Post 4]

There seems to be all sorts of genetics up there. From trashy bucks to perfect typical 4's and 3's. This is the only mature 3 I've killed up there but have seen a few others. Thanks for the kind words guys.
POk3s

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 06, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Great buck. Congratulations.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby POk3s » 10 07, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Thanks Josh. I appreciate it.
POk3s

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 08, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Wow Trent, great looking buck! Boy I'd right proud of tagging that whopper, nice work bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 10 08, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Thanks bossman. It was a pretty fun morning!
POk3s

Postby LckyTylr » 10 08, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Wow, that's an awesome 3 point! Nice buck.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby POk3s » 10 22, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Thanks Tyler!
POk3s

Postby Elkonthebrain » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 11]

That's a stud of a three point.
Elkonthebrain