Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

California X9c or X10?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

California X9c or X10?

Postby CaliOutdoorsman » 03 29, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I have two points and was wondering what you guys think?
CaliOutdoorsman

First Name: John
Last Name: Pulskamp

Re: California X9c or X10?

Postby Steve G » 04 07, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I presume you plan to hunt the general season?
Steve G

Postby CaliOutdoorsman » 04 14, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Yeah I will be hunting during general season. I have two points and am wondering what zones you suggest I apply for. I prefer open country with lots of grassing opportunities but will adapt to different terrain. I'm in good physical shape and would like to get away from the roads and crowds.
CaliOutdoorsman

First Name: John
Last Name: Pulskamp

Postby Migolito » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 4]

X10 can be absolutely spectacular IF you hunt it right. You need to hunt high...as high as you can find- search google earth and find the high places. Don't even mess with transitional areas within the unit, or water for that matter(theres a bunch of water). Go as high as you can and hunt ridge lines and shade. Snow will turn the deer in to G3 monsters in the valley and u can get them as they transition down. X9c IS very open country IF you get snow and is your typical glass hunt on the valley floor...you'll get a deer. If no snow your looking at getting into the draws leading into the Whites and, again, getting as high as possible in the highest cover. W/2 points you should draw either.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby pointysticks » 05 01, 2014 •  [Post 5]

i've been pouring over maps and stats.

i just realized i have FIVE points. i have an actual crack at a good spot. i am not a fan of solo hunting. i am saddened if i go into a group, my points get diluted with all my zero point friends.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l