Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Short season Highlights

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Short season Highlights

Postby Lefty » 09 28, 2015 •  [Post 1]

:cry:
I only had four Saturdays and four Friday evening hunts; Saturdays all day,and the last 30-60 minutes of the evening on Fridays.
Mountain hunting is way different than the desert, I was in on elk every Saturday.
Solo hunting I called in ,a single spike, a lone old, a stout 5x6 (may be 6x6) that hung up at 70-80 yards, a yearly calf to 8 yards Dogged a herd one day for a couple hours and followed an old bull for 1 1/2 hours before he busted me at 25 yards this past Saturday,
The best highlight was calling a herd, where the herd bull parked in front of my daughter at 22 yards for 8 minutes.
I loosed one arrow over the top of the spike. Those words "believe your rangefinder" haunt me. The range finder said 43 yards, when the actual distance was 19 yards( I ranged it Saturday). Nikon helped me re-set my aling rangefinder.
And a story of the funky coyote that followed me
What a great season.
My wife helped break camp yesterday morning. I have a once in a lifetime moose tag, after breaking camp I said we needed to look over one creek bottom and see if I could call in a bull moose,.. One call and a 34" little bull moose stood up 110 yards away,.. the beginning of a new season.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Short season Highlights

Postby welcher83 » 09 28, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Good work Lefty! Lots of good opportunities and memories there.

PS. From what I remember on some of your posts this summer/fall, I think we are hunting the same zone here in Idaho. Let's keep it hush-hush and tell people there aren't any elk in said zone.
welcher83

Postby chiledog » 09 29, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Nice season story Lefty. Happy hunting!
I didn't catch up with any bulls but one and I got busted.
chiledog

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Marcy

Postby Lefty » 09 29, 2015 •  [Post 4]

welcher83 wrote:PS. From what I remember on some of your posts this summer/fall, I think we are hunting the same zone here in Idaho. Let's keep it hush-hush and tell people there aren't any elk in said zone.

And what unit are you hunting in??/ :lol: :lol:

Met a fellow who quit hunting the area because there are no elk left, the wolves killed them all.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkaholic » 10 04, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Awesome story Lefty. Thanks for sharing. Hope the moose hunt is going well.
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford