Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Maggots and Elk Meat!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maggots and Elk Meat!

Postby Coveyleader » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I've tried all sorts of game bags and none, none have kept the horrible blow flys from laying their eggs. If you keep your quarters whole, you can just wipe or wash the eggs/maggots off, but if you bone your meat out, man it can be a mess!

In Western Colorado early season where I hunt, the flys are insane. No matter how well you take care of the meat, when you hang it in the trees and come back, they will be on it. For this reason, I prefer to kill elk in the evening but it seems it never happens.

I'm wondering if large sheets or large pillow cases would help? I rememeber using them years ago, but cannot recall how they did.

I've thought about buying one of those large mosquito nets we used in the Army to place over the game bags to keep the flys away. They weigh nothing, and might do the trick. I've heard of using pepper etc. Does this really work? How much do you need to pack in?

Remember, this is dry country, very hot, not your typical alpine setting where you have lots of time.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Maggots and Elk Meat!

Postby slim9300 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

We had hundreds of flies on my meat last year. I have never seen anything like it. As a matter of fact when my partner and I came back for the second boned out elk (we killed two in the same spot) there were hundreds of small maggots already formed on the outside of the game bags in the blood. This was 6 hours after the meat was put in the bag. 36 hours later when we were trimming the meat at home and cutting it into steaks, we didn't find a single maggot between 8 game bags. Try that with AK game bags. ;)

The only bags I trust now are Caribou and TAG. Both will not allow a fly to lay an egg through the bag.

If you are really worried just double bag your meat.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Maggots and Elk Meat!

Postby Vanish » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

You can find more than one testament to using chili powder. I have yet to try it as I have yet to tag an elk. :D

CrazyElkHunter wrote:I carry 2 small 2.5 oz. bottles of chili powder in my pack. I have been bowhunting elk for 30+ years and the weather can be warm, so the meat bees and flys are out. Flys will blow on any place there is blood, but will not even land where there is chili powder. Sprinkle the powder lightly on the meat as you cut it up to pack out and put into good game bags. Also sprinkle on any blood areas,like entry,exit wounds,nose, mouth to detour flys and meat bees while working on your elk[or any big game]. In 1999 it took me 3 days to get all my meat off the mountain,and I never lost a ounce. I laid the bags of meat up against a mossy old log that was very cool and the sun never hit. I sprinkled chili powder all over the outside of the bags and started makeing trips. On the 2nd day there were bear tracks 10 yds. from my bags and he never touched them. The chili powder washes off when you prepare it for packaging and will not hurt the taste of the meat. It only stains your game bags a little orange.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I shared in a earlier post. CHILI POWDER. I've been using and sharing this tip for over 20 years. We never have flys blow or have meat bee problems. Just sprinkle as you work on your elk, or any big game, on exposed areas and they do not want anything to do with it. I even put some on the nose, mouth, entrance and exit holes to keep them from entering the body cavity while I am boneing out the animal. We only hunt elk during the rut, so it is usually dry and warm. We are to old to carry full 1/4's out, so we bone every bit of our elk and make 60 to 80lbs bags of meat. If I can not get all the bags out the 1st day, I stash the remaining bags in a nice cool spot and sprinkle chili powder all over the bags to detour bugs and bears. Haven't lost any meat ever so far. You still need to use quality bags that keep the dirt out but let's the air in. Good 1/4 bags can cost up to $80.00, but you can make your own and save a bundle. Buy 4- 4x5 painters drop cloths from Lowe's for $5.00 ea., sew 2 sides and you will have 4 of the best bags money can buy for $20.00. Every year I have to make more bags for friends because they like them so much. I also keep several extra chili powders to hand out in camp every year. Only 50 cents each at WalMart. 3 chili powder bottles are more than enough for a elk.

CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Breeze » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Gotta say I was skeptical about 'Chili powder' until a couple days ago. I was making some deer jerky and decided to load the dehydrator out on the picnic table. It wasn't long before there were flies everywhere, especially where i had spilled some 'juice'. I remembered the 'chili powder' advice from an earlier thread, so grabbed a bottle and had at em... It really DID work. I'm convinced! Thanks for the great tip CrazyElkHunter!
Breeze

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yes, great tip! I too am packing it this year as insurance!

We've used the Allen game bags on our website for over 15 years now & have to date never had any blow fly issues or maggots, this is why we continue with them!

I also like crazyelkhunters own design, I have no time though to make my own!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Breeze wrote:Gotta say I was skeptical about 'Chili powder' until a couple days ago. I was making some deer jerky and decided to load the dehydrator out on the picnic table. It wasn't long before there were flies everywhere, especially where i had spilled some 'juice'. I remembered the 'chili powder' advice from an earlier thread, so grabbed a bottle and had at em... It really DID work. I'm convinced! Thanks for the great tip CrazyElkHunter!

Happy to share! I hate hearing stories about flies blowing on elk meat. The more hunters that can get all the meat off the mountain without any loss, the better. Some dry years the meat bees are a real pain. They hate chili powder to. You posting your experience might convince a few more. ;) Thanks for sharing, and hope you get to try it on a elk this year. Bill Custer, Far West Mossy Oak Big Game Pro Staff
CrazyElkHunter

Postby spyder24 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Will the chilli powder have an effect on the taste of the meat? Mike
spyder24

Postby 2OArchery » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

spyder24 wrote:Will the chilli powder have an effect on the taste of the meat? Mike

Yes, its delicious.
2OArchery

Postby Bullnuts » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

We've used Alaskan game bags for several years and they work really well for quarters. I also have a friend who uses bed sheets and he swears by them. The Alaskan bags are quite a bit tougher than bed sheets or pillow cases, and they hold a lot more meat than pillow cases do. I've also used liquid game bag, which is a spray on concoction that seems to work really well. It doesn't keep the flies and yellow jackets totally at bay but certainly reduces their numbers.

Back in the olden days we used black pepper, which I suppose is the same as chili powder, but I'm intrigued about the chili powder now so I'm going to have to take some in my pack this year and hopefully give it a try.
Bullnuts

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

spyder24 wrote:Will the chilli powder have an effect on the taste of the meat? Mike

No it does no effect the taste because when we have it processed it gets rinsed off. If any is left on it is very little and it blends in with other spices you put on when you cook it. We eat elk meat several times a week and no sign or taste of any of chili powder we used when we boned out in he field. Your bags will turn a little orange and your hands get a little orange but rinses right off. As far as for black pepper, we tried using it in the 70, s, and it did not work. Not even close to the chili powder. When ever I use a different meat processor, when I hunt a new area, I let him know I put chili powder on the meat, and they always respond to, I never thought of that. When I pick up the meat, they tell me they clean all the meat anyway, and it rinsed right off. I ran into a outfitter at our RMEF banquet and told him about the chili powder and the effect it had on flies and meat bees. He had been a outfitter for 25 years, and was shocked that he had never thought of it in all those years. He said they also tried black pepper off and on but still had issues with bugs. As far as the bags I make, you can put over a 100lbs of meat in them and they will not tear. I also double seem the sides and bottom. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Chili powder is in my pack this year. I've carried black pepper forever, mostly because it seems to help a bit. This year, chili powder will get it's day in the elk woods. Thanks for the tip CrazyElkhunter. See, we're never too old to learn something new. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I hereby declare CHILI POWDER as a new "DO NOT FORGET" item on the Raghorn Express!

All for it say "I"

IIIIIIIIIIIIII!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Maybe I should have bought some stock in chili powder before I posted! :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I had just gutted this bull and was leaving to go get help. You can see the chili powder on his eye, nose and mouth. And no, he was not tied up before I shot him! :o

CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Came back about 2 1/2 hours later and not 1 fly blew on this bull. Sprinkled all around the cavity openings. Sprinkled a little on the gut pile and blood on the ground also.

CrazyElkHunter

Postby tracker12 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Made sure the wife placed it on the shopping list. I always used black powder but this sounds better.
tracker12

Postby dotman » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Awesome tip, add me to the new guy packing chilli powder this year list :)
dotman

Postby rjdumas » 08 06, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I am so glad that I read this. I have been scared of getting an elk and having bees on the meat, cause I'm pretty allergic to bees. Chilli powder is the first thing to go in my bag after my epipen.
rjdumas

First Name: rj
Last Name: dumas

Postby six » 09 03, 2016 •  [Post 20]

Wanted to bring this one up to the top. We were not prepared for flies this year. Got back to the meat for the second load 6 hours later and fly eggs were all over the game bags. I'll be taking some chili powder next year.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby phall » 09 03, 2016 •  [Post 21]

Anyone ever tried citirc acid and/or compared to chili powder?
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 03, 2016 •  [Post 22]

phall wrote:Anyone ever tried citirc acid and/or compared to chili powder?

I switched to citric acid powder in my pack after using chili powder on the bull in my avatar. The chili powder worked, but not as well as I liked. If you frequent some of the hardcore backcountry forums, guys swear by the citric acid, more-so than chili powder. But I think either one should do the trick!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby TurkeyBowMaster » 09 03, 2016 •  [Post 23]

I don't think a few maggots hurt anything and they don't do to much once the meat is cooled down.
TurkeyBowMaster

Postby ishy » 09 04, 2016 •  [Post 24]

If I'm processing my own stuff, do you actually rinse off all the meat before packaging or does most of it come off with the normal trimming?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Deafirishman » 09 05, 2016 •  [Post 25]

Chili powder keeps the bees and flies away. Personally used it and it works great !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Postby JKaboom » 09 05, 2016 •  [Post 26]

This is a great thread and just the kind of thing I am looking for as a newbie - thanks :)
JKaboom

Postby JKaboom » 10 12, 2016 •  [Post 27]

Assembling my stuff for 2nd rifle in CO and want to know - how much chili powder would be sufficient for a bull elk? How much for a buck mule deer? I picked up a 20 oz container at Costco and am thinking to myself that my kill kit is becoming pretty big. I am thinking half the container would be enough for both animals provided I am able to harvest both.
JKaboom

Postby saddlesore » 10 12, 2016 •  [Post 28]

Yep,used the chili powder the first time this year in ML season on a cow elk I shot. I packed the hindquarters and loins out right away, but had to leave the fronts.Got back there the next AM and the carcass was covered with flies and bees, but the bags with fronts on them were free of any bugs..

Plus I used it liberally as we were processing in the field and it kept them away

Eve old farts learn something every year
saddlesore

Postby lamrith » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 29]

How much do you guys carry/use? Looks like Crazy you use 3 for one elk? Or are those spares for other camp members? Do you have to put it on that heavy to need 3?
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby saddlesore » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 30]

I used one bottle ,about 5" tall. I believe it was 6 ounces and cost $.99 at Walmart
saddlesore

Postby jmez » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 31]

I'm with Slim on the bags. I use the TAG bags and don't have to worry about the meat inside.

A word of caution if you take your meat to a processor. The TAG bags and Caribou bags are expensive. You need to let the locker know that you want the bags back or they will just throw them away. I learned that lesson the hard way. Guys at the locker will treat them as disposable. I now have SAVE written in large letters on both sides of the bag with a sharpie.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby saddlesore » 10 13, 2016 •  [Post 32]

It isn't only the meat inside the bags but while you are skinning and quartering the elk.Flies and bees are on the meat instantly. A few bee sting son the hand while skinning out or quartering an elk, isn't fun
saddlesore