Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer Scouting Plans

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer Scouting Plans

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 01, 2024 •  [Post 1]

What is everyone’s scouting plans for this summer?

Im hoping to get out 2-3 times to my area. I will probably focus on putting trail cameras up in August. I’m not sure how many new areas I want to focus on during the summer but I do have some new spots that I will be putting trail cameras in this season to see how much activity they get.

My wife and I are looking at buying a pop up camper so maybe camping this summer with the kids will be a little more enjoyable. If this goes through I might get a couple extra trips in :D
Elkhunttoo

Re: Summer Scouting Plans

Postby Lefty » 05 01, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Im not surehow this summer and spring will pan out.
I would like to take a cruise from Alaska, do some fishing .
I plan to hike around some other areas we hunt to find some specific set up locations for different winds in an area that has held some big bulls,, I would like to know it inside and out .

My health has gotten better I might be able to talk my wife into getting a couple of cell cam near a planned on blind/stand set up,, My wife wants to keep an eye on me,, I want to know what the bulls are doing!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 05 02, 2024 •  [Post 3]

I plan to go back to my old haunts for about 5 days in mid-July. I try to go and check up on some of the elk that fooled me the last time I was there. I need to explain to them that last year I gave then a break and went to a different area, but I have not forgotten them. Two seasons back the bulls were complaining of sore necks from having to look up all the time to see if I was taking aim at them. The cows were taunting me by showing in the game regulations that they were in a bull only area. I asked them what they were doing in the bull only area, but they just laughed.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 05 04, 2024 •  [Post 4]

Only one trip to the mountains for me this year. I’ll find out in two weeks whether or not I drew a Wyoming license. With only one point in the random drawing, my chances are single digit percentages. If I do happen to draw, I’ll go hunt in mid October. if I don’t, I’ll go out in August. I’ll spend a week in a new area where I am confident there is good hunting for bigger bulls. I’ve already hunted it before and know some of it fairly well. But like Lefty I want to know the area better. I’m going to check out a potential spike site. Also a new Basecamp location. I would probably fly out to do that to maximize my time in the hills. While I’m there, I think I’ll spend one day in Grand Teton National Park for a bit of R&R.

Obviously, I love to Hunt. But it wouldn’t bother me one bit just to go there in the summer to scout. I have done it before. Very enjoyable.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 05 05, 2024 •  [Post 5]

My birthday is coming up next week,, pushing hard for a cell cams,,, Told my wife she could watch me hunt from a couple of locations. :lol:
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 05 06, 2024 •  [Post 6]

I think I’m going to buy a GoPro camera. A buddy bought one last year with all the accessories. He bought two extra batteries as well. Paid $400 for everything and never used it. Not even once. He wants $250 for it. Every once in a while II watch a hunting show on TV and I think I’m missing the boat on that. I could get some excellent footage. I have some pretty good video on my phone. I wish we could post videos video clips on here.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 05 06, 2024 •  [Post 7]

I recently bought a Ollin digiscope adaptor for my binos and spotting score just so I could get some videos of critters, and maybe shots while I'm out there. I've learned a lot about shooting and how animals react to shots by watching shots on youtube. In the event that an animal doesn't go down in sight, having a video through a spotter to review could be a tremendous asset.

GoPros only do so much for you considering you can't zoom in, and the wide angle lense gives it an odd effect. I think they're great for close up opportunities, under 50 yards.

You can share videos on here, you just have to upload them to a youtube account first. The account is free, it's very easy to do from your phone or other device. I thought you could just click the "youtube" button above this text box, and insert your link, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. so i just used the URL function and inserted a link that way.

Here is one I did a couple years ago on my phone through my spotter on 30x at about 1.25 miles away. Hot July day.

https://youtu.be/62qzomLFp_Y
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 05 10, 2024 •  [Post 8]

I gues my "scouting stater today.. The plan was to set out some bear baits,,, Too much snow

So I dropped 1000 foot elevataondown to place some bait where I elk hunt,,, spent the rest of the following elk tracks.. Came upon a cow, elk ,, I think she was waiting to drop a calf
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 11, 2024 •  [Post 9]

IMG_7391.png
IMG_7391.png (829.15 KiB) Viewed 29 times

In a way I started my scouting today…my son (12) and I went and put up a bear bait. We drove around to the other side of the mountain and I was able to get one trail camera up. Hopefully I can get back into the bait again next week
Elkhunttoo