Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling Success

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling Success

Postby Swede » 04 10, 2024 •  [Post 1]

This thread is pretty much tongue-in-cheek so to speak. I think I have more success in calling in elk than you do. ;)
I think my years of tree stand hunting and calling combined have taught me things you have not experienced. Here is my case.

I have killed five elk that came into my call. The reason I boast about being a be better than you, is that I only make one call in the morning before I get into my stand, and one in the afternoon. That makes my success about one in every 40 (estimate) calls. The reason it works so well is patience. It is pure and simple patience. But, because I sit and wait, I have learned elk may take a couple of hours to come to investigate the caller. Now, it just seems fair to me, that if you want to claim to be a better caller than me, you need to explain how you get elk with fewer calls on average than I do. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Calling Success

Postby saddlesore » 04 10, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Could be the elk just wondered by and never herd your call . Maybe you are better selector of where you put your tree stand than a caller. Me, I am a terrible caller, but every once in awhile I must do it right . Probably more luck and a dumb elk rather than talent.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 11, 2024 •  [Post 3]

I will admit now, I have no special talent for calling elk. Like a sixth grader with a saxophone, I can use a diaphragm but am nothing special. I usually call with a Berry Thunder bugle. It is a bite and blow thing that makes a good bull sound but is hard to make more than a location bugle with. That is enough for my purpose. When using it, I am just announcing that a bull is in the area.
As far as the elk coming as a coincidence is concerned, I must respectfully disagree. I have had a herd bull come screaming at me and repeat his scream. He heard my call. Every elk I have killed after calling was paying close attention to the exact location I called from. One stood at my calling location for over five minutes just looking. I had to wait to shoot it because I had neglected to take into account a small fir tree that blocked a shot to its vitals.
That is why I tell friends to be careful where they call from. The elk will not come in if they can see there is nothing there where you called from. I have watched them turn around and go back. I too have learned the hard way. That too is experience. I had a bull bunch come to my waterhole one time one after another. I killed the first 5X5 and as normal waited in my stand for him to die. While I waited four more bulls came in. At the same time my son was in his stand about 60 yards away and nearer to where the bulls came from than I was. They had to pass by him to get to where I called from. He finally got one, but not before it passed by out of his range to check me out.
I surely have had elk come in after calling that was just coincidental. I did not count them. A good tree stand location will produce if you just get in and quietly wait. Calling has not worked for me like I wish it would, but nothing else does either. That is why it is hunting. Making that one call just improves my chances a little bit.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 11, 2024 •  [Post 4]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
saddlesore wrote:Could be the elk just wondered by and never herd your call . Maybe you are better selector of where you put your tree stand than a caller. Me, I am a terrible caller, but every once in awhile I must do it right . Probably more luck and a dumb elk rather than talent.
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Im going with Vince on this one!!!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 04 11, 2024 •  [Post 5]

Swede you do make a good point about patiences and the wait. Every year we bust elk a number of times after getting off of a stand.
doesn't mater if we've been there 10 minutes, 40 minutes or two hours.

But there is also something to saddlesores comments too.
My experience is with smaller bulls i. They can just stand in a location for 30 minutes doing nothing but a little look around maybe nibble a bite or grass or browse.

Weve also been in on the elk and at times they dont give a hoot what your doing as far as elk vocalization sounds,
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 04 14, 2024 •  [Post 6]

I always remind myself that what works one time may not work another time. Elk have no rules, just survival
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 04 14, 2024 •  [Post 7]

saddlesore wrote:I always remind myself that what works one time may not work another time. Elk have no rules, just survival

That is about as universal a truth as we can get with elk hunting. However, if you or anyone can share an experience or observation (tip) that will help an elk hunter, go from about a 10% success rate to 12% success, that is significant. If you can help them up to 40% or 50% success that would be huge. It is very rare to read a tip on this or any forum that will really transform a hunter's likelihood for success. I believe tree stand hunting is that rare change. I do not believe better calling is that advantageous in many areas. You say you are a "terrible caller". It does not seem to have adversely impacted your success.

I believe my call then climb (C&C) suggestion is an opportunity to add just a little likelihood for stand hunting success. The genesis for C&C came from Elknut. I have modified his recommendation to work better for me. That is what any hunter should do as they gain experience. As I said on top, C&C has worked about 1 in 40 outings. I do two 5–6-hour hunts per day.

Let the tree stand hunter that has tried the C&C tactic say they have seen no improvement in their success. I will wonder why because I have experienced a minor uptick in my success and plan to continue.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 15, 2024 •  [Post 8]

saddlesore wrote:I always remind myself that what works one time may not work another time. Elk have no rules, just survival

So many hunters base their hunting only on their previous limited experiences.

When I got married to my Idaho hunting wife, The had Jeep hunting experience,,, When national forests were open to unlimited travel, Here dad didn't hunt in the rocks so if they couldn't get with in 1000 yards of where they drove with the jeep she believed there weren't deer.

One thing I could always do well because of my trapping experiences is find the game.

for years I hunted elk like whitetails. And I didn't know what aggressive meant.

Calling; Im getting better I just need Us to get better.

Sadly a too funny of a story And I (we) have lots of experience.
one rule is If it sounds like a bad hunter callingr its likely an elk :oops: :lol:
And sometimes elk dont give a rip about what we do,, or the sounds we make no matter how close

I still cant get Andrew to put away his bugle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 04 15, 2024 •  [Post 9]

I have lost count how many elk I have called in. Each and every one of them was a huge success and SOOOO much fun. Some we have shot, most we have not. I cannot wait to do it again!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 15, 2024 •  [Post 10]

Years ago, someone wrote into the Portland Oregonian newspaper that the speed limit on Interstate 5 should be raised so more opossums would be killed. I suppose the writer was correct in a limited way but going 8o instead or 70 is hardly an effective means of ridding the Northwest of opossums.
Calling still brings in elk, but what is your success rate? But, dear reader, are you going home with an elk 90% or 80% or 15% or the time? I estimate I call in an elk about 1 in 40 times. How are you doing?
It is experience that tells me not to call from my stand. Sure enough, it will bring elk in, but they hang back and do not come close enough for a shot. They stay back to look and look for the elk they heard. When they determine no elk is there they turn away.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 04 16, 2024 •  [Post 11]

In Colorado, in OTC units at least you are more likely to call in three other hunters and those three will complain about muzzle loader and bear hunters pushing elk out. :D
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2024 •  [Post 12]

When I read Saddlesore's posts I often get a laugh. Over the years I have agreed with him on many points and disagreed on others. We have got into some pretty good arguments to be sure, but I must give him credit. He is a very experienced elk hunter & says it the way he sees it.
BTW: the last time I went out for a morning of elk calling I called in about a half dozen bow hunters. After that I went back to my tree stand and waited for the elk.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 04 16, 2024 •  [Post 13]

I have no idea where you would call in half a dozen elk hunters in a morning. You probably shouldn't call at the trailhead! Occasionally it does happen, but it is not a big deal. Probably less than once per year if you are away from trailheads.

I haven't kept track of my stats, but the excitement of calling in elk easily trumps humping a tree for a month for me. But to each his own, if you like bark shavings in your underwear, by all means, keep at it! That is one of the great things about elk hunting, there are many different methods of doing it depending on geography, weather, elk density, terrain, and most importantly, personal preference.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 04 16, 2024 •  [Post 14]

Tigger wrote:I have no idea where you would call in half a dozen elk hunters in a morning. You probably shouldn't call at the trailhead! Occasionally it does happen, but it is not a big deal. Probably less than once per year if you are away from trailheads.

Don't know where you hunt Tigger, but Colorado does not have BIG wilderness areas. If you pack in 8 miles,you will meet other hunters coming in from the other side.

Trailheads are full, but you will only find 2-3 camps in them. Most hunters get further in, because everyone has told them to go deep. Every one has be a little bit further than the last guy and it isn't long until you have 6-8 camps in each drainage with most of them set in prime elk habitat. They start blowing those tubes several days before season and it gets to be pretty hectic.

Colorado archery ,OTC units have become so crowded that CPW will do away with all OTC tags starting in 2025. A lot of that decision was based on archery hunters complaining about crowding.

I hunt ML season and I don't carry a bugle anymore. Soft cow calls mews, but 80% of the time even that will send the elk into the next drainage.Wait a couple of days an d someone will chase them back.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 15]

Tigger wrote:I have lost count how many elk I have called in.
Each and every one of them was a huge success

most we have not.
I cannot wait to do it again!

Success isnt always packing out game :D

My father in law had killed a lot of game in his life, He wasnt an archery hunter, ( he did kill a mountain goat with a recurve!)
He was never able to understand how we had so many close elk encounters during September.
Lefty

Postby 2MANY » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 16]

I usually call out.
2MANY

Postby Swede » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 17]

If success is calling in an elk, why bother to buy and carry all of that archery gear? Why buy an expensive license and tag? I think we are only kidding ourselves claiming "success" is anything short of filling our tag with quality game meat. If calling in elk is the ultimate goal, then I would not even bother to wait for a "hunting season."
Btw, I have called in hunters outside of hunting season. For some crazy reason they came driving up looking for the elk. I think they were disappointed in seeing me. No success.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 04 17, 2024 •  [Post 18]

I agree with Swede. I can hunt a full season and go home without punching a tag and still had a good time. But I cannot say it was a successful hunt though. I can't see going out and only calling in elk for the fun of it. If a person calls one in and misses a shot that is definitely unsuccessful. If one is called in and no shot opportunity arises, that is because of the elk or the caller. Kind of a tie,I might say. But when a person goes out to only call and the elk comes in,then the caller just waves or purposely lets the elk know they are there, maybe because the bull wasn't big enough, all they do, IMHO,is educate the bull into recognizing a false call.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote: I think we are only kidding ourselves claiming "success" is anything short of filling our tag with quality game .

:lol:
I've had plenty of success killing, filling the tag

Our definition of success will need to be different

Hunting with my daughter and granddaughter ( wife too) is a success.
Days in the field is a success, Other experiences is a success.

I could have filled my Montana and Idaho Deer and elk tags with little bucks, does, and cows less than 150 yards from the ATV or FS road.

Responding/calling in elk isn't my "ultimate" goal. Just part of the hunt. Two years ago,,,I never drew an arrow but had 12 "different bulls respond to under 60 yards before the 13th

Just like meat in the freezer isn't the ultimate goal. I do want to spend as much time comfortably experiencing the elk woods,
Do I want my daughter and I to each kill a really big bull absolutely,
But were not going to get there killing the first legal animal, the first bull.

Just like a canoe trip. it isn't getting in a canoe and just paddling from A- to get to B :::: but all else in between.
Some people go to Florida, Caribbean, and Hawaii, I head for Montana 300 Units or Idaho 50,60 ot 70 units

We've/I have had experiences in the elk woods with more than just elk. My FIL had killed 21 rifle bulls ( 25 season) and over 200 buck mulies in his life. Yet my daughter has had experiences my FIL never had
Ive put more than 300 bulls under 20 yards in front of my daughter than most elk hunters ever see.
Three different seasons My daughter has had elk run into her( all cow elk).
then experiences with black/grizzlies bears wolves coyotes, and no added meat in the freeze, even the chipmunks

And my freezer still has plenty of snow geese and 20 more packages of antelope that if I get a bear, I will need to make into sticks to give away :shock:
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 26, 2024 •  [Post 20]

Maybe your daughter could have killed 300 elk within 20 yards. Maybe you could have killed a small deer or elk. If your objective is to get a large animal, then a small one is not success. I can't remember how many times I have had someone say I coulda but ..... Keep on buying those $800 licenses and tags and continue telling yourself that you really were successful while you throw the expired license in the round file. I do not get a critter every time I go on a hunt either. Sometimes I am less than successful. I am not ashamed to admit I have failed.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2024 •  [Post 21]

success
[i]noun
suc·​cess sək-ˈses
Synonyms of success

: degree or measure of succeeding

: favorable or desired outcome
[/i]

I measure my outcomes differently.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 04 27, 2024 •  [Post 22]

Congratulations Lefty on your hunting success. I am glad you are satisfied and pleased.

Two young adults took an English class. For one only an A would be acceptable. For the other a C grade was fine. Which one do you think got the A? Which one studied and read daily and more before each test? Which one turned in a well-crafted term paper?
Understand this young elk hunter. The DIY public land elk hunters on this forum that ends up with an elk nearly every season are focused and persevere. There are no short cuts.
Except in rare instances of good luck, you usually end up with what you will except as success. If a spike is enough, you will not persevere and gut it out to get a branched bull. If going home empty is ok, you will often go home empty handed. Gutting it out in any and all conditions takes determination.
Is going home is ok when the weather turns brutal, and you are not seeing anything to shoot? Over the years I have killed several elk after my friends packed up and returned home. One year I went out for one last hunt. It was the final day of hunting season. My wife said, "stay home, you have hunted hard all season." Well, I refused to quit, climbed into my truck and headed back to the woods. I got my elk the last hour of that day. Things like this have happened several times in the last thirty some years. Over the years I have shivered for hours and days in my tree stand waiting for an elk. I have had days where I returned so exhausted I could not sleep that night. I have had aches and pains in several places, but ultimately it almost always pays off.
Last season the weather turned rotten and no one in camp had seen an elk. I had been there nearly three weeks and had no opportunity to shoot anything to hang a tag on. Everyone in camp wanted to go home and encouraged me to throw in the towel too. I decided to give up. I still regret my decision. For me the season was a failure and I hate failure.
It makes no difference to me how you define success. That is entirely up to you. Just know this: If you will except chicken dinner for your Christmas, that most likely what you will be eating.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 27, 2024 •  [Post 23]

I guess my real problem is I don't like chicken dinners in September. I can eat Chicken in November and December if Im hungry for chicken. Tag soup didn't upset my stomach when the plan id to put Kobe A5 Wagyu Ribeye Steak,on the plate. And were hnot eating chicken to make sure there is room for Kobe A5 Wagyu Ribeye Steak ,

I guess we are a bit nuts too,, Fish for sturgeon: everything is catch and release
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 29, 2024 •  [Post 24]

(1) Knowing where to call. (2) Knowing when to call. (3) Knowing (HOW) to call. (4) knowing what to say. (5) knowing when to say it, (6) knowing just how much emotion to put into it. These are just a few of the things that will increase your calling success!
>>>---WW---->