Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Worth it to set up trail cams

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Worth it to set up trail cams

Postby michiganelkfever » 03 21, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Im heading out to archery hunt second week of september diy. Flying out june 5 for 5 days to scout. Would it be worth it to set up trail cams in june or is it too early!?
2014 Hoyt Faktor 84#...rage hypodermic, full metal jacket
michiganelkfever

Re: Worth it to set up trail cams

Postby poisonarrow » 03 21, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I had trail cameras on a spring that had good activity until the middle of Aug. After that, nothing.

It looked like the bulls came to the spring looking for cows. There were a lot bulls but no cows.

If you can locate cows, that is were the bulls will be after the rut starts.
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby wawhitey » 03 21, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I guess if you had elk on camera the last couple weeks when you checked it that could tell you that youre in good shape, but i feel that where trail cameras really shine is the long term stuff. Using cams in the same spot for a couple years, especially with multiple cams spread out over a few miles, that gives you a good understanding of the animals movements.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby michiganelkfever » 03 21, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I would really like to have them there closer to season, but flights are 130 in early june...which means thats when im going....im really going to make sure the blm is open in the area i want to go and no gates in between, but thought i mias well set up cams! Thanks for the insight guys
michiganelkfever

Postby Indian Summer » 03 22, 2015 •  [Post 5]

It isn't hard to determine if there are elk in the area so to me trail cams for elk and deer are mainly to let you know what size bucks or bulls are around. But if you don't plan to pass up a legal animal then it really doesn't matter. But it's still fun to look at the pics.

Make sure you know the regs in the state where you are hunting. In Montana it is illegal to have trail cams up any time during open season so you'd have to pull them before the season started.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby michiganelkfever » 03 26, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys...i was refering to Co. Units 30/31.. Its very steep, and i know it has bulls, just trying to scout additional areas....unfortunately not lucky enough to live in the beautiful country, so just trying to get a little help, or time in the woods without time in the woods...
michiganelkfever

Postby otcWill » 03 27, 2015 •  [Post 7]

My experience has been that it is enjoyable but it doesn't really get me any intel that might change my hunt. Also, I'm pretty good at killing good bulls but I can't, for the life of me, get one on camera preseason. I've gotten thousands of elk pics and about 2 decent bulls on cam.
otcWill

Postby ak32 » 03 27, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I wouldn't think it would do too much good. It's easier just to look for sign, droppings, game trails, ect when you get there for archery season. The elk can travel a long ways as they rotate from basin to basin, so even if you catch some on cam it doesn't mean they are hanging around there.
ak32

Postby CurlyTail » 03 27, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I think the trail cams will eat into your precious scouting time and the info that early not worth the time and effort.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Fridaythe13th » 03 28, 2015 •  [Post 10]

It's better than leaving it on the shelf at home all summer. Bring it with if you find a wallow while scouting, put it up. It's just fun looking at pictures. I might not aid in hunting, but one never knows.
Watch that video "AN ELK HUNT VIDEO" that Phantom posted. That guy found a meadow with trail cam and hunted it hard, paid off in the end.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Passin Thru » 03 28, 2015 •  [Post 11]

I agree with Curly Tail. Elk can cover a lot of ground and scouting teaches you their habits. Every time I see one I learn something new. Even saw one get down on his knees and crawl into a brush pile. Learn their habits and then get ahead of them early in the morning and let them come to you. What bothers me is getting a 900 lb bull and then carrying him 5 miles through rough country.
Passin Thru

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2015 •  [Post 12]

You did not say if you have hunted the unit before, or are otherwise familiar with the elk in the area. You did not say how you plan to hunt. As a tree stand hunter, I like to use my cameras. From them I can see how often a spot is getting used and what is passing in front of the cameras. I like long and short term information, and by setting up in June, you will have a lot of information you would miss by leaving your cameras at home. Some places get used at intervals like every two weeks, other places change over the summer. Some spots get mostly bulls, while others get cows and small bulls only.
Even if you are just calling, your cameras will inform you about what is in the area. Good luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby michiganelkfever » 03 30, 2015 •  [Post 13]

I hunted roan creek from the bottom last year...this year im hunting from the top...i have found many bedding areas that obviously have been used for years...we do not treestand hunt due to the extreme steep n deep in the area...im really wanting to see whats in the area and hopefully learn some habits!?
michiganelkfever