Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Second chance 8x7

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Second chance 8x7

Postby Calbuck » 12 13, 2014 •  [Post 1]

After glassing up 13 different Bulls, I was able to seal the deal on this bull after taking a shot and missing him. I relocated him and his smaller 6x6 buddy 2 canyons away from where I shot and missed from 430 yards. I found him in the Vortex glass and determined that a stalk was not feasible due to wind and the bull's location. My hunting partner (dad) and I decided we would return that afternoon and try for him.
I hiked the approximate 1100 yds down the canyon to where the elk were, not knowing if they were still in the area or not. I settled in on the hillside overlooking the sage flat they had been feeding in. I hadn't been there 10 to 15 minutes when both Bulls fed out on the adjacent ridge. I took a deep breath and tried to settle my rangefinder on the bigger of the two. "371" yds it said. Elevate 18". Ok. I thought "maybe they'll feed down off that ridge toward me." Wrong! They were headed over the hill. I decided it was time to let the lead fly. I remembered the rangefinder reading and figured my hold. Boom! Shot one quartering away. Aimed for the back rib. Dirt flew behind him and both Bulls start looking around. My bull turns and begins to walk toward me. I shot again, again dirt flies behind him. WTF? I'm thinkin to myself. I shot again and again, with NO indication from the elk that he's hit. Finally, with a shoulder view from behind a tree, I touch off and hear the classic "whump" of the bullet hitting. The bull teetered, then finally went down, tumbling and rolling down the steep hill he was on. He's mine!
Turns out, shot one hit the offside lung. He was dead on his feet. I have a new respect for the toughness of these animals! He was the biggest bull I found in the area, and I was determined to get him. Well worth the effort, and damn happy I had the opportunity!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533898.217345.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533898.217345.jpg (338.28 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533878.238296.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418533878.238296.jpg (341.36 KiB) Viewed 5131 times
Calbuck

First Name: Rex
Last Name: Woodward

Re: Second chance 8x7

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 14, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Nice rack! Glad it worked out that you were able to take him on the 2nd go around! What caliber were you shooting?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LckyTylr » 12 14, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Nice Bull!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Calbuck » 12 14, 2014 •  [Post 4]

ElkNut1 wrote:Nice rack! Glad it worked out that you were able to take him on the 2nd go around! What caliber were you shooting?

ElkNut1

I was using a Rem. Mod. 700, 30.06. Hand loaded w/150 grain Sierra Gamekings. Hunt took place in south central Idaho.
Calbuck

Postby Calbuck » 12 14, 2014 •  [Post 5]

LckyTylr wrote:Nice Bull!!!

Thanks man! It was a really fun hunt. Hope I can do it again sometime!
Calbuck

Postby bowbeck » 12 14, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Nice bull! Congrats!
bowbeck

First Name: greg
Last Name: becker

Postby Indian Summer » 12 15, 2014 •  [Post 7]

We had a thread awhile back where a few guys tried convincing me of the capability of a 30-.06 for elk. Yes it can kill them. But I wouldn't call it optimum. Elk are tough! That's a long bomb for that caliber and 150 grains is light... in my opinion. You did good! Very nice bull, love the stickers.

Where were you hunting?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Huntrgathr » 12 15, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Nice Bull ! I'm getting better at not getting into debates on these forums but I will agree 430 is a long poke with the ol' ought-six. Getting inside 350 often means the difference between a clip-emptying volley and a "one shot, one kill" experience with that caliber. Again, job well done. Enjoy those backstraps !
Huntrgathr

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Although 180grn would be a better choice at those 400yd-500yd shots both 150 & 180 grains in 30/06 pack more energy ft. lbs. at 350 to 400 yds than a 30/30 does at 50yds. I know most don't look at a 30/30 as a great elk gun, but those of us that have taken multiple elk with them know they can do the job just fine out to 150yds +-- closer than that & they will put elk down in a hurry. It may not be everyones caliber of choice but don't under estimate the power an 06 is still packing down range. At 50 yds a 30/30 is packing 1600 ft. lbs. more than enough to secure a bull! An 06 is packing that same 1600 ft. lbs. at 400 yds & 1500 lbs at 500 yds. Like anything in this world it's all about shot placement!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Calbuck » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 10]

One of our military's greatest snipers shot a model 70 in 30.06 during Vietnam.. If it's good enough for Carlos Hathcock in battle, it's good enough for me!
Calbuck

Postby Daved270 » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Congrats nice bull!
Daved270

First Name: David
Last Name: Denham

Postby Indian Summer » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I have a bolt action .30-.30. I call it the pea shooter. You could compare that .06 to a lot of pea shooters and it would look good. I do like the 180grainer for it though. Heavier bullets retain more energy and therefore have better downrange trajectory and knockdown power.

And before ya'll hang me at sundown... I never said it couldn't kill elk. I just wouldn't consider it ideal. BUT... that depends on where you are hunting too. In timber it shines. In the open spaces of Wyoming where I hunt I would be under gunned.

"I shot again and again, with NO indication from the elk that he's hit. Turns out, shot one hit the offside lung. He was dead on his feet."

Hmmm
Indian Summer

Postby Calbuck » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Hmm, what? I did what I had to to get the bull on the ground. My FIRST bull. My first elk period. I'd say I did ok. He's butchered and in my freezer, all that matters.
Calbuck

Postby Indian Summer » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Yikes back up Cali. I said you did a good job. No question about that. There are plenty of people who couldn't have made that shot with a big magnum of any caliber.

But if you hunt in an area where there is a likelihood of long shots you may want to consider a tool more suited for jobs like that. Imagine a nice bull like that walking away.
Indian Summer

Postby Calbuck » 12 17, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Trust me, I saw him walking away as I was shooting! It just happens that my 06 is sighted in with 150's, and I'm comfortable shooting it. A lot of people are hung up on the "magnum hype." I hit the elk 3 times, of which 2 were vitals and one on the front shoulder. The vitals shots were pass throughs (dirt flying behind) and we found the bullet under the hide opposite of the shoulder shot. I was just totally in awe that this elk didn't flinch or hunch at all..a testament to the animal's toughness. I just get amazed at the willingness of people to question every last bit of someone else's story, as if to try and make themselves look better or smarter. I will continue to hunt with that ol' 06 because I've never pointed it at an animal that didn't end up in my freezer. It works for ME! Don't worry, I'm not fired up, I'm merely tossing your subtle questioning back at you..bottom line? I really love hunting!
Calbuck

Postby Indian Summer » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I might as well add one more post to clarify things a bit. The "hmm" was not directed so much at you. It was more toward those who stand up for the 30-.06. There are lots of people all over this country who have a love affair with that gun. That's no surprise since this country is made up of a majority of deer hunters and there's no question it is the most widely owned gun out there.... hand down. In the hands of the right person, and it sounds like you are one of them, and loaded with the proper ammo it can be sufficient at longer ranges. But there is no question that a heavier bullet is better for such shots. I'm not better or smarter.... that's just a ballistic fact. Maybe you could shoot a few 180s and see how they fly for you. Can't hurt.

So here's my perspective: On this and many other websites we have lots of new hunters. Those who yet to even hunt elk. They read and learn from us who have. Over the years I have seen lots of different scenarios. I have watched elk hit with lots of guns act as if nothing happened. I've tracked and killed elk a day later that were shot with a 30-.06. It might sound stupid but in a way I feel like I speak up for the elk. I love to kill them make no mistake. But I like it to be as quick and humane as possible. There are lots of people who will talk about the effectiveness of mechanical brodheads. So if I step up and say there are better tools for the job what will happen? There will be a pile of people who post pictures of elk with giant holes in them from Rage brodheads. Never mind the piles that got away and the states where tools like that aren't even legal for good reason.

Last.... when I post on subjects like that it often happens that hunters take it personal. But I am judging the weapon or other tactic whatever it may be... and NOT the hunter him or herself. Not everyone is as proficient at shooting as you. So when 16 year old zero experience gets on here and reads this stuff I don't want him to think that, given the choice, he should go out and buy a tool that works for some people and might not be the best choice for him or her. You said it yourself: Elk are tough. And they live in tough places where disappearing is really easy. So with that in mind more energy in a bullet is a good thing. No... I'm not saying a kick like a mule 300 Ultra Mag is best. You have to be comfortable shooting your gun. But... in the case of the "ol .ought 6" a little more is a little better.

Last... I feel bad when people take my posts personally. But again... I do it for the elk and for the future hunters. I feel bad when someone says "I'm devastated at what happened on my hunt". Bad for the hunter, and bad for the elk.

Sorry if I upset you. I certainly didn't mean to. For the 3rd time... you did a great job and that's a hell of a nice bull. Especially for your first. Congratulations!
Indian Summer

Postby Huntrgathr » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Calbuck- Don't take it personal man. This time of year everyone gets a little bored and maybe points out things they normally wouldn't in an effort to stimulate conversation. No doubt everyone on this forum is happy for you getting your first bull. On these forums guys will generally offer a little advice along with their "congratulations!". Take it in stride.

As far as the caliber debate - I think it's kinda funny that guys raise issue with one caliber being superior to another for elk based on it's killing efficacy and then we go out there and fling pointy sticks at them.

Any modern rifle in 30 cal or better will kill an elk no problem - provided that the shooter can put that bullet in the vitals. The #1 thing that is going to affect one's ability to do that is the shot distance. Most Bullets ( and arrows for that matter) are lethal well beyond the shooter's ability to shoot accurately.

Bullet weights - My old '06 shoots 165gr Barnes reloads more accurately than any other bullet I've tried. I'll choose group size over ballistics on paper every time. A 4" group of 165gr bullets has a better chance of a quick clean kill than an 8" group of 180gr bullets. Every gun shoots differently. Don't trust those ballistics charts. Know your gun.
Huntrgathr

Postby elkaholic » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Congrats calbuck on a great bull. Love the 06! Mine has taken a lot of elk over the years and it performs great with the 180gr pills I feed it.
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Calbuck » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Guys , sincerely, thanks for the congrats. All the points made are good ones. I agree there will always be these great debates.
I firmly believe that the VERY MOST IMPORTANT thing ANY hunter should do first (after safety rules of course) is get to know their firearm! Period. Second, they should know their personal limitations with said firearm. I honestly doubt the animals know or feel the difference of bullets IF THEY ARE HIT IN VITALS. A poorly placed .338 won't do any better than a .243 in many cases. Lots of people (especially newer hunters) are constantly reading how they need the latest Ultra Mag to elk hunt, then they find they can't shoot it straight due to the flinch they develop. All in all, I enjoy the lively debate!
Calbuck

Postby wawhitey » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Calbuck wrote:Lots of people (especially newer hunters) are constantly reading how they need the latest Ultra Mag to elk hunt, then they find they can't shoot it straight due to the flinch they develop. All in all, I enjoy the lively debate!

this is why i now use .308s. I just dont shoot well with my .300 win mag. The rifle is good, im just not good with it. My .308s put bullets where i want them. If i end up elk hunting with a rifle i know what ill be using. Ill just keep shots inside 200 yards. Id rather make a perfect shot with a .308 at 200 yards than a marginal shot with a .300wm at any range.

And you know, deer can be tough too. Ive seen whitetail bucks take serious hits that should have flopped them, even multiple "certain kill" hits, and they just dont admit theyre dead. At least not in a rational period of time. Doesnt mean im going to start hunting whitetail with a .338 lapua.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 21]

The .308 is a great round. You only need to check with the Army to confirm it's "effectiveness" :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 22]

Phantom16 wrote:The .308 is a great round. You only need to check with the Army to confirm it's "effectiveness" :)

Last i checked though the army isnt in the business of killing the great wapiti
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 23]

7.62 MM, full metal jacket. Wapiti don't shoot back. One of histories most accurate anti personnel rounds.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 12 18, 2014 •  [Post 24]

Phantom16 wrote:7.62 MM, full metal jacket. Wapiti don't shoot back. One of histories most accurate anti personnel rounds.

Oh im not arguing, hell im the one who said im using that round next time i hunt elk with a firearm... just playing devils advocate, even against my own position, just because i think my second statement is relevant. But yeah, no need to convince me.
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2014 •  [Post 25]

While we're on the subject of learning... Calbuck... there's no question you did your homework before pulling that shot. So tell us a little bit about your setup. What kind of rifle do you have? What scope? And what kind of ammo? Do you reload? Also.. it sounds like you also have a vital tool to go with it which is a quality rangefinder. I'm curious what kind of rangefinder you are using.

One time I had a client that told me he was bringing a 25-.05. Man that's light! But when he showed up I certainly got a surprise. He had a heavy barreled Remington Sendero. That is a great gun for accuracy and long range shots. He had it on a bipod too. Can you believe he carried that thing around the mountains! Also he was ex military. A former sniper. He told me that he could pick which valve he shot on an elks heart as e had also studied up on elk anatomy. I had no doubt he could kill and elk with that "pea shooter". If you put a Crossman BB in the right place it will do the trick. Like Hunt mentioned... we kill them with pointy sticks and 100 grain razor blades.
Indian Summer

Postby Calbuck » 12 30, 2014 •  [Post 26]

I.S, I'm shooting a Remington model 700, topped with a Leupold 3-9x40 VX2. I hand load with IMR 4064 under a Sierra Gameking 150 grain bullet. Optics include Vortex binos and spotting scope, with a Vortex Summit SS-P tripod. The rangefinder is a Leupold 1000 TBR/DNA. I packed out the horns and a load of meat with a Kifaru Nomad pack. Absolutely love that pack! I packed out a cow in Nevada with it as well. The cow was taken with the same setup, killed her with one shot behind the head, in her bed.
Calbuck