Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cleaning elk skull

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cleaning elk skull

Postby Deafirishman » 11 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Just inquiring if anyone knows how to clean up a skull without having to boil it. I just simply do not have a big enough pot to fit the skull in. I have done whitetail European mounts by boiling the skull so this is my first elk skull. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Deafirishman

First Name: Aaron

Re: Cleaning elk skull

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Do NOT boil. Do NOT bleach. The skull may look ok at first but both of those processes break down the skull. A skull isn't one piece but made up of parts which will come apart. I know you value that skull Aaron. Get it beetle cleaned. I'd bet there is a beetle cleaner somewhere not too far from you. They are common these days. Most taxidermists know of one or use one if they aren't doing it themelves.

If you are dead set on doing it yourself Google up skull whitening kit. Taxidermy supply companies like Van Dykes and McKenzie sell whitening kits. But you still need to clean it and get the brains out. Beetles do that as well as get the fleshy material from tight spots like down in the roots of the teeth etc. Boiling won't do that.

If you want the best in the business and don't mind paying shipping call Gary at Big Sky Beetleworks in Florence Montana at 406-777-3638. Museum quality.

Congrats again.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Might as well add: You can buy enough beetles to do one skull and do it yourself. see the link. Interesting stuff.

http://www.bonesandbugs.com/purchase-de ... etles.html
Indian Summer

Postby Huntrgathr » 11 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Beetle it.
Huntrgathr

Postby twinkieman » 11 22, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Beetle it, then get some Magnesium Carbonate from one of the taxidermy supply companies. Mix this with Hydrogen Peroxide to a paste consistentcy. Paint the paste onto the skull, and set aside for 3 or 4 days. Take the skull outside, and using a clean brush, or compressed air remove the dried paste off of the skull. keep the skull in direct sunlight for several days, and it will become even whiter.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Indian Summer » 11 22, 2014 •  [Post 6]

In between beetle cleaning and whitening it has to be degreased too. Otherwise it will get patchy discolorations as the oils seep out.
Indian Summer

Postby ferris bugler » 11 22, 2014 •  [Post 7]

ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby wawhitey » 11 23, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Just buck up a few dollars and have it done professionally for the best results. Its your first bull for ***** sake
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 11 23, 2014 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:Just buck up a few dollars and have it done professionally for the best results. Its your first bull for ***** sake

LOL... someone had to say it Whitey. You'll never do as good of a job as a pro for ***** sake! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby Rizzy » 11 23, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I macerate all mine, it's free, it's easy, but it stinks when you dump the water.
Rizzy

First Name: Ron
Last Name: Wright

Postby under H2O hunter » 12 02, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Sink it in a bog or place it in a tree and let nature do its' thing is another option. Some guys also berry it in an ant pile. There are many ways to clean a skull. If you boil it you will for sure lose your nasal bones as they are tiny and brittle. Beetles do the best job. You can also whiten the skull by going to a beauty supply house and get some 40 volume peroxide and and let it sit in it then power wash it off after a day. Yes having a professional do it is ok but its costly for the amount of work and supplies they put into doing it. I say do it yourself and learn the process. There are other ways to decorate your skull besides just doing it white. You can also hydro dip it, have it bronzed, as well as beading it or hand paint it as well. All are cool interesting ways to show off your trophy. Good luck.
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Postby atrietch » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Be careful leaving it in a tree.
Around my neck of the woods, you would lose antler to those nasty chewing red squirrels.
atrietch

First Name: Tony
Last Name: Trietch