Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Elk Hunt Colorado Unit 44 questions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Elk Hunt Colorado Unit 44 questions

Postby cbanta » 08 24, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Good Evening all,
I'll admit that it's been a long time since I shot anything recently, unfortunately I've been too busy with life's other things, so I'm pretty excited to have a tag this year. I'm hoping I can get some pointers on Colorado's GMU 44 I was able to get a left over tag for Either Sex in Rifle season 4. I've been digging around and it looks to get a good elk in that unit (I'm going DIY on public lands) you have to hike for it so I've begun working on that, which my dogs are enjoying as we've been going on ~3 mile hikes with a 60 pound pack (I'm wearing the pack, not the dogs har har). I've been studying Google earth and the like to try and find a good camping spot, my Father and Hopefully older brother (he may have a deer season conflict) are going to be coming down to enjoy the hunt with me (I'm not one to turn down wisdom, bonding time, and a few extra backs to carry stuff). my main problem right now is trying to figure out where I should plan on setting up camp and hunting. I'm planning on hiking a few miles in the day before, setting up camp, and then hike a few more miles to hunt as looks that hunting pressure pushes them back into the thicker stuff. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot, but would appreciate if those of you with experience in the area could give me some pointers on where to plan on hunting. I am hunting for the meat, but I keep thinking how impressed my soon to be father in law would be if I got a monster bull and am more than happy to work for it.

Thanks,
Chris
cbanta

First Name: chris
Last Name: b

Re: First Elk Hunt Colorado Unit 44 questions

Postby BRazz » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Chris - welcome to the forum! I've never hunted 4th season there in that area, but here's the general scoop the way I see it...

This late in the year, the location of elk will be highly variable depending on the weather. They may be in full-fledged winter ground (rolling sagebrush country), or still up high if the snows allow, or anywhere in between. I've seen massive herds staging in the "middle-ground" waiting to commit to the vulnerability of the more open winter grounds. One storm will bring these elk in droves from the high country. So I think you should be ready with a couple of plans, one that might work with any one of the many possible weather conditions you're going to encounter.

And I'm not sure your experience level with this, so forgive me if I sound belittling. You are pretty much guaranteed to have snow up high, and more around the corner. Camping that time of year will be cold, and it's very easy to get stuck in places you don't want to be, so be smart and prepared...

Good luck and keep us posted!
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby BRazz » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I forgot to add one thing. I'd taper your expectations a bit. If you're holding out for a monster bull then there is a good probability of going home empty. Most OTC units in CO are managed for numbers, not quality, so monster bulls are rare - and usually very elusive. I personally am happy with any bull (or even a cow for that matter), but that's just me.
BRazz

Postby Gypsumreaper » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Shoot the first legal elk you see don't hold out, ur gonna have a snow in the area for 4th season 2 years ago it snowed 2 feet in second rifle, I was riding my snowmobile around up there to bring a spare tire tou dad instead of driving my pickup, I'd also doubt ur gonna be able to hike in a few miles and camp then hike a few miles to hunt, it's gonna be cold as cold can be and I don't even do that, the elk stay middle unless there is very heavy snow, this is not at all a trophy elk unit are there 300+ bulls yes but there few and far, I've hunted there my whole life and it's a hard hunt, all my second season areas are empty by end of third season with all the pressure and snow, I'm not saying it's impossible to camp out but ur gonna need a lot of gear on ur back to be able to keep urself happy and warm, my suggestion camp in ur truck then hike where you wanna go, there can be anywhere from no snow to 4 feet anywhere on the unit besides real low, usually there's a snow on Halloween every year in town,
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby cbanta » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Hey Guys thank you for the great information and reality checks! I was thinking of spending a day or two trying to get a bull, but my main goal is meat so i'm not going to be upset if I walk out with a cow, just disappointed if I come out with nothing (but that is hunting). As far as cold, I moved "down" from North Dakota and am used to 0 to -10's in the winter, but that is still definitely no fun. I picked up a 4 season tent and a bag good for -10, but I can be stubborn if the pro's with the experience are suggesting I rethink that plan, I'm no fool and apt to listen!
cbanta

Postby Gypsumreaper » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I'm not sayin you can't do it I'm sure that you can, but only time I've camped in 4th season I had my wall tent up so that when I got back to camp I could have a good fire and dry all my clothes, it is a tough hunt no matter what season but the snow will help, my experience the bulls are gone outa the herds an alone again, but some will stick around the cows, I'd bring a set of snowshoes it helps a ton and will save ur legs pushing snow, a good set of gaiters will save ur life and watch the aspens lot of elk love the aspens this time of year and there easy to see from a distance but hard to stalk on, if you have an idea of an area you may hunt give me a pm an I will help if I can
Gypsumreaper

Postby BRazz » 08 26, 2014 •  [Post 7]

And bring a sled to help pack meat out (downhill...) if you get one down.
BRazz

Postby cbanta » 08 27, 2014 •  [Post 8]

awesome, I'm thinking we may truck camp it, My dad is coming in from a lower elevation as well (I live at 6700ft) so it may be best all around to make it a little easier on ourselves. I'm not sure of which area yet, if you have any suggestions i'm all ears, it does seem like it will vary though depending on the weather. thank you for the additional gear suggestions, Gaiters are one thing that I overlooked.

i was considering grabbing a sled to haul out with, now I'll definitely have to grab one!
cbanta

Postby cbanta » 10 29, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Good Evening All,
It's been a bit of a hectic fall for me this year, so I haven't gotten to get out to my unit like I had planned (i'll be getting up there this weekend, my season starts on the 12th. I figured I'd post and ask if anyone has hunted the unit this year and may be able to give me a pointer or two on where they may be, or some good areas to check out.
Any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Chris
cbanta

Postby Gypsumreaper » 10 29, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I pm'ed you back
Gypsumreaper

Postby cbanta » 10 29, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Thank you very much Gypsumreaper, I appreciate it!
cbanta

Postby kevin_t » 10 30, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I would go with first legal / best shot myself if meat is the main goal.

A base camp is a good idea with the ability to set up a small camp out an away a bit. I've often put camp on my back and moved until I found a good spot, but a base camp is certainly a nice fall back. I've seen 3 feet of snow fall in the weekend in unit 43 on 3rd season before, and Elk were everywhere then. It will likely be highly weather dependent. If there is bad weather forecast during your hunt, save your energy for the bad weather.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby cbanta » 10 31, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Thank you Kevin, my plan is definitely to pull the trigger on the first legal elk that I can put sights on. I'm hoping I'll get lucky and the weather holds out just a little longer so the hunt isn't miserable, but I won't count on any favors.
cbanta