Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you make a camp fire or not?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do you make a camp fire or not?

Postby Kevrod3 » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 1]

When your in the backcountry and in spike camp do you guys have campfires to warm up or for drying clothes out?
I ask this because we did not have one this past September, but one of my buddies was dying to have one but I told him before we even got out there that I didn't want to have one. (he wanted to have it to scare away critters :roll: , and mostly just to have one) The county we were in didn't have a fire restriction, but I just felt it wouldn't help our odds of staying on elk. I figured if we had smoke, and the noise of breaking/cutting up firewood to keep it going we would push the elk out of the area. Also our friend that has been hunting this particular area for the last 6 years said he doesn't have campfires, and asked us not to if at all possible. My thought was that by the time we got back to spike camp, heated up water and ate dinner I'd be getting ready for bed. The last thing I wanted to do was worry about building a fire, then putting it out ect.

So do you guys have fires? I see some of the DIY guys on tv do it when its snowing ,or raining, or want to dry stuff out, etc. but wanted to get opinions from guys who have boots on the ground here on Elknuts!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Re: Do you make a camp fire or not?

Postby elk.addict » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I've had many fires in elk season over the years and my experience is that it doesn't bother elk whatsoever.I typically start fires to dry out my clothes and sometimes just to warm up while I'm sitting still. I wouldn't worry about the scent of the smoke, it won't bother them. And if by chance the elk are close enough to hear the crackle of the fire, I doubt it would blow them out of the country. They would probably, if anything, just put a little distance between themselves and the fire.

But I agree with your comment about the hassle of it - nowadays, with the gear we have, it's a lot easier to stay dry and warm without a fire.
elk.addict

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I have never camped in the back country, just at base camp. But for me setting buy the fire B S ing about the day event and planning what tomorrow bring, is all part of why I'm there. For me I would have a fire most nights.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Indian Summer » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 4]

[quote="elk.addict"]I've had many fires in elk season over the years and my experience is that it doesn't bother elk whatsoever. quote]

Nope. And actually a little smoke on your clothes is a good cover scent. I've had deer and elk come straight in to a fire out of curiosity. I agree too that a fire is great to sit around at the end of the day. But that's if someone else got it going before we get there. I agree with you Kevin that by the time I roll in I barely have enough time and energy to take care of a few things, boil some water for a Mountain House, and eat before I'm passing out. I haven't had a fire in camp since I was outfitting.

If your fire and wood cutting is risking spooking elk you are camped too close to them.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Bow4me » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 5]

In 2012 I killed a bull while sitting at the fire and had about 80 elk walk within 100 yrds. So l don't even worry about it.
Bow4me

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Holland

Postby itsnlkthing » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I don't worry about it for smell or noise but normally don't have one because I'm too worn out by that point in the day.
itsnlkthing

First Name: Steve
Last Name: DeWeese

Postby one_elk » 10 28, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Fire is a good thing particularly as the days get cooler and I certainly haven't seen any negative effect in regards to any big game species...
one_elk

Postby pointysticks » 10 28, 2014 •  [Post 8]

a few days hard hunting, and NOT showering.

smelling like smoke is the least of my worries. if anything it helps hide some of my stink.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 10 28, 2014 •  [Post 9]

I avoid fires and realize not every camp you can clean up daily. I have fires when I scout but not when I hunt or after Ive made a kill
However there are times they can be a must, like wet conditions and if it is your source of cooking.
I have fires when I scout but not when I hunt.
I think there are times a fire draws some curious animals deer, fox coyotes bob cats lions. Ive had elk skirt within 50 yards of our horse camp , scared the crap out of me,.. we were starting a rodeo and Im working the horses and listening to the cows and calves mewing 50 yards away. But Im not going to be using smoke as an attractant
A friend had a grizzle walking between each of them and pacing the picnic tables,.. and the fire was still going; tell that to your buddy.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bow4me » 10 28, 2014 •  [Post 10]

One other thing. I asked a experienced elk hunter one time if he used scent away or anything like that and his response was no. If you're up wind from an elk your all ready F'd.
Bow4me

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Holland

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 28, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Had two fires and both were this fall. Temps were in the low teens and it was sure nice to sit around for awhile and try to dry out my boots. Had elk tracks in the fresh snow around us, within 200 yards. They actually followed our tracks until veering off before the clearing. But I would say I wont do it unless it is that cold. Takes too much time up like others have stated. Normally I am ready for bed after a quick bite to eat, heck I am usually to lazy to make a MT House at that time!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby njdoxie » 10 30, 2014 •  [Post 12]

If I have enough energy I build a fire, I love to sit around the fire and eat dinner, nothing like staring into fire after a long day, campfire for me is part of the experience.
njdoxie

First Name: Guy
Last Name: Carothers

Postby ishy » 10 31, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Had a co-worker this spring while camping would have several cows actually come into camp and eat the ashes out of her fire pit. So no I don't think it would bother them much.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby pointysticks » 10 31, 2014 •  [Post 14]

One year in AZ we were frozen. Eating our lunch, my bro lit a cow patty fire. Talk about concealment scent. Those things burn pretty well.

I don't worry much about smoke smell. I still hunt the wind.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l