Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What to do with all that meat?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What to do with all that meat?

Postby SD220 » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I'm feeling optimistic about my first elk hunt coming up in just a few short days. To that point am trying to decide what I want to do with all the meat. I already have the meat locker lined up but have no idea what to tell them to do with the meat once I get it there. How much meat can I expect from an average bull? I thought I'd probably just tell them I want all the steaks and roasts I can get and have them grind rest. I would like some sticks, jerky, and sausage too. How much do you guys get turned into that sort of stuff? I know its different for everybody I'm just trying to get an idea.
SD220

First Name: Brian
Last Name: L

Re: What to do with all that meat?

Postby Drawnandpinned » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Well once all broken down due boned and gutted with no hide I would say there won't be as much as u think but for tenderloin or backstraps butterfly them into great steaks and have ur prossesor do a few diffrent thing for you to see what you like best brats jerky burger ect.
Drawnandpinned

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Duersch

Postby Drawnandpinned » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Well once all broken down de boned and gutted with no hide I would say there won't be as much as u think but for tenderloin or backstraps butterfly them into great steaks and have ur prossesor do a few diffrent thing for you to see what you like best brats jerky burger ect.
Drawnandpinned

Postby Drawnandpinned » 08 28, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Sorry posted twice (dumb) me lol
Drawnandpinned

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 29, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I love optimism!!!

Stew meat, two pound pkg.
rump steaks, 1/2 in thick then run through the cuber twice. If they don't cube buy you own cuber.
Roast, 4 lb pkg
Burger, 1lb pkg.

Happy Hunting
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Duck-Slayer » 08 29, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I process all my own meat, so this is what I do, I plan for a year's worth of meat every hunting season, I generally do 1 lb. bags of hamburger, all the backstraps and and some of the rump is made into steaks. I do 1 roast from each rump also. Now that's my process, when I want sausage I get the pre-mix form the store and mix it in with 1 lb. hamburger, that's all sausage is. Same with jerky, when I feel like some get the mix from the store, mix with the burger, shoot throu the jerky gun, smoke and done. So if I would go throu a processor, I would cut the tenderloins into butterfly steaks, and cut the roast's out, than have him grind the rest and make your brat's and snack sticks, I would make my own sausage, that's just me, many good books out there and DVD's about cutting your own meat up. This will save some $ at the processor also. Good Luck!
Matt
Duck-Slayer

First Name: M
Last Name: K

Postby Lefty » 08 29, 2014 •  [Post 7]

We keep everything as packed meat, steak roast stew and burger.
My neighbors wife everything goes into burger, (7 kids)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby SD220 » 08 30, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Some good advice and tips. Thanks guys. I do process all my deer myself but I'm just a little intimidated with an entire elk.
SD220

First Name: Brian
Last Name: L

Postby zpd307 » 08 30, 2014 •  [Post 9]

we do a lot of hamburger also, 3 boys.... backstrap steaks and a couple of roasts is all. this was what I did with 2010 Utah cow elk and what I always do with wt deer. hamburger is expensive in the store!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s