Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Maps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Maps

Postby poisonarrow » 04 21, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Would you guys be interested in your hunting maps printed on thin rubberized fabric. The benefit is that it is water proof, tear proof, will not bleed out, and guaranteed not to fade in full sun for three years. The fabric weighs 4 Oz. per sq. yard. A 42x 42 map would be 20 miles square.

You would send me coordinates of the center of the map you wanted. I would print it off and send it to you. It would cost $10.00 up to three square feet and $3.00 a sq. ft. for anything bigger. I can print up to 42" square. It would cost about $4.00 to ship.

I do not know if this will work or not. If it is too big of a hassle I will quit. I have printed out some maps of my hunting areas and it is pretty cool.

Poison Arrow Gear

James
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Re: Maps

Postby SoCo Mark » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Sounds interesting..
Where are you getting your data from? I currently get my maps from mytopo.com. I like all the options they offer.
Can you print UTM grids?
What scale is it, or do you offer options?
Can you mark on the material with some sort of permanent marker and have it stay?
Basically, if I can see what you options you have for customizing the map, yes I might be interested.

Thanks, Mark.
SoCo Mark

First Name: Mark
Last Name: C

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Yes, sounds very good! Are these USGS TOPO 7.5 minute 1-24000 maps or is anything & size possible?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby poisonarrow » 04 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

They are USGS maps and UTM or minute, second. You could mark on them and the scale is adjustable. Really any scale is possible.
poisonarrow

Postby RichM » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 5]

I am interested but can't commit yet. I'd be looking at NM GMU 34, jut not sure of the center yet.

Rich
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby Indian Summer » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I'd definitely be interested. A paper map costs $6-$8 and takes a beating. Just folding them does damage eventually. Let me know when you can produce them and I'll order a couple. Maybe print an elk on the backside so it doubles as a decoy. Being the McGiver I am maybe I'll get a big one and use it as a temporary shelter too in case of emergency. lol
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elk.addict » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 7]

How would they compare to Rugged Maps?
If you're not familiar, http://www.ruggedmaps.com/
elk.addict

Postby poisonarrow » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 8]

I do not know. i went to their website, but there is no info of what their maps are.
poisonarrow

Postby elk.addict » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 9]

poisonarrow wrote:I do not know. i went to their website, but there is no info of what their maps are.

You're right, there wasn't much info on the website. After an email, I found that all customs maps are 33x44 and I think they're about $120. Sounds like the material is similar.

Your price is obviously much cheaper. I was just researching these Rugged Maps as I wanted to try one, but looks like you'll be a lot cheaper.
elk.addict

Postby elk-n-walleye » 04 24, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Don't do it elknut's... it's a ploy to get all of our hunting spots! :lol:
Just kidding. I am also interested and will consider getting one. Will these have topo lines as well?
elk-n-walleye

Postby Timberghost » 04 26, 2014 •  [Post 11]

If you can do them for alberta I will have you make up some. When are they available? Thanks. Rob.
Timberghost

First Name: Rob
Last Name: Katerenchuk

Postby poisonarrow » 04 26, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I have been in contact with the company that has the maps hoping to works something out with them on the pricing. It is not going to work like I had hoped. What would work is if you would have a subscription to their service , download the map you want and send me the file and I would print it.

The company is Alltrail pro. You need to look at it anyway even if you don't get me to print for you. They have the topo terrain and satelite views.

Check them out. I think it is a great map tool. It costs $29.00 a year for the maps.

It would be easier for you and me this way. We wouldn't have to try to make sure that the maps were right before printing.

One thing , when you do look at the maps, and prepare to download , make sure that you are in the center of the area you want. The map comes up on my screen as the top left of the area I want. You have to move the side slider and bottom slider to get the map centered.
poisonarrow