Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Slip System durability???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Slip System durability???

Postby Toby » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I have been giving some consideration to using one of these for my elk hunting this year. I am curious as to how durable they are as a trekking pole, and their durability in general. I usually hunt a mix of timber and semi open, probably a little more timber, which elk cover would be best?
Toby

Re: Slip System durability???

Postby elkmtngear » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Toby wrote:I have been giving some consideration to using one of these for my elk hunting this year. I am curious as to how durable they are as a trekking pole, and their durability in general. I usually hunt a mix of timber and semi open, probably a little more timber, which elk cover would be best?

Toby, thanks for the inquiry. We have never had a pole break in four years to my knowledge while trekking. The umbrella unit is made from durable material, fiberglass ribs, metal rib tips, and a high grade aluminum shaft. The trekking pole insert is carbon fiber with stainless steel adaptors. Not your everyday household umbrella!

Personally, I'll probably be mostly using the butt decoy in my area because aspen and timber dominate where I hunt (but I'll carry the Open Country decoy in my pack as well) ;)

If you were hunting an area where you had to cross a lot of open areas to encroach on elk, I'd go with the profile decoy Slipcover. It all depends on where the bulk of your encounters occur.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Toby » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Thanks Jeff,

I am still trying to decide if I can carry my bow and one of these all day.

Toby
Toby

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 4]

I'm using the slip system this year in a particular spot that I really like! I'm taking it in then stashing it there & will use it on my evening hunts, it's a great place elk enjoy in the evenings. I feel it will be a big asset on that style of hunting. The trekking pole aspect doesn't work well in the areas we hunt but could see its usefulness in other areas.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkmtngear » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Toby wrote:Thanks Jeff,

I am still trying to decide if I can carry my bow and one of these all day.

Toby

Toby, the bowhook really helps. I keep the bow on my left hip on a bowhook, and I can reach down and grab it by the riser and have it ready to go in a second. The pole really comes in handy, especially when trying to navigate deadfall quietly. I use it to swat spider webs, part brush and limbs, etc...it's like an extension of my body.

I realize not everyone will walk with it...so it can be strapped to a daypack. But of course, that kinda slows things down if you need to deploy it quickly.

I can say the guys that learn to walk with it really love it, and will not usually hunt without it :)
Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ctdad » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Jeff,

You say some attach it to a daypack. How short can the pole be adjusted down? I thought it was rather long? I'll own one soon enough either way but this comment caught my attention. If the pole can go very short, I'm even more in favor of carrying it every day.
ctdad

Postby elkmtngear » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 7]

ctdad wrote:Jeff,

You say some attach it to a daypack. How short can the pole be adjusted down? I thought it was rather long? I'll own one soon enough either way but this comment caught my attention. If the pole can go very short, I'm even more in favor of carrying it every day.

ctdad,
Shortest "usable" configuration would be to completely remove the trekking pole end, and slip it just inside the slipcover. This will put you at 38 inches.

Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Jeff, the bow hook you mentioned caught my attention. Do you know where I can get one? Do you have a pic of yours that you could post. I have been thinking about a Primos sling, but the hook may be a better option.
Toby

Postby rowdycwby1 » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Here Toby I have one similar to this one that works good.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sportsm ... -hook.html
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Mathew, thanks for the link.
Toby

Postby elkmtngear » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Thanks Matthew. That one looks way more padded than mine, so easier on the strings :)

Here's the one I have, it attaches to my daypack: http://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/store ... etail.html

I usually hook it to my tight spot quiver, or the cable crossing. Keeps the bow balanced when walking, but allows quick access!
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Are the hooks hard on bow strings?
Toby

Postby elkmtngear » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Toby wrote:Are the hooks hard on bow strings?

I wax my string quite a bit. I notice I have to re-wax more often if I use the bowhook on the string. So I just hook it to the bow quiver instead.

The one Matthew posted up looks like it would be gentler on the string.

But I do like having the hook on the daypack.
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Is the hook big enough to hold the bow by the riser, or would that throw the balance off? I'm hijacking my own thread here, but that's ok :D
Toby

Postby elkmtngear » 04 17, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Toby wrote:Is the hook big enough to hold the bow by the riser, or would that throw the balance off? I'm hijacking my own thread here, but that's ok :D

No it's too small...and you'd want it somewhere in the center of the riser for balance.
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Kevrod3 » 04 18, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Again this is why I love this site! I think a lot of our minds think alike! Glad we all work as a team to help each other become better hunters!!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell