Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New locations or same old

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New locations or same old

Postby Elkhunttoo » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 1]

2024 season is starting to creep this way…will you be in the same stand location(s) this year as seasons past? Or will you be in a new place?

I’m still on the fence…I really liked where I was last year but elk seemed to be few in numbers…I’m definitely thinking about a few new locations but they would be in the same general areas I was in last year. I have one wallow/spring that I have zero data from cameras that definitely is intriguing. A few saddles and a few traveling routes in the trees that have me wondering also.

Excited for the next few months to start playing anyhow
Elkhunttoo

Re: New locations or same old

Postby Tigger » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 2]

Well we will be going to one of 2 locations that we know from years past. One is grizzly infested, the other is not. But I have some good buddies that drew a good tag and I am so jealous, excited, happy, envious, for them!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 3]

Last season I tried a new area, but it did not turn out well. I am going back to my old haunts but hope to add a new stand location or two to the mix.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 04 19, 2024 •  [Post 4]

As of now for elk, I may spend the first few days camped and then hunt an area we usually drive to. Work those bulls before tha crowd move in plus its a much easier pack , not as much elevation.
We have plenty of "old" locations, some we didn't even hunt this year.

Bear: I may need to move. Three years ago we shot a 4 and 5-year-old small boars and just haven't had anything else show up of size that we would shoot.. Last year I had a nice boar show in early May. Two different sows with cubs and 9 other 2 year olds
Some houndsman hit around my baits and kill everything. Bait is too much work not to get better results. so back to an old location
There is a now 6-year-old blondish boar hitting a bait in another range. Last year the mosquitos were so bad I couldn't hunt it, sitting on a ridge with 20 mph winds the bugs still ate me up. So I may hit that old location.

Where we had been deer hunting was winterkilled extremely bad last year. So I may go wild on a deer change-up. so likely a different area.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H