Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

McCall area . . .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

McCall area . . .

Postby LckyTylr » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Any Elknuts that live in the McCall, ID area or a little further North?

I'm going scouting in Unit 27 this weekend North of McCall. I have been to the area before and it was good. Last year, it was hit by a forrest fire, but I think the fire stopped JUST shy of the bowl that I like to hunt in. I need to check it out.

There aren't many people that I'd trust to show my one and only good spot to, but I trust you Elknuts. If it's burnt over, I need to locate a new spot, so that might be in the cards as well. I'm going to be scouting Sunday morning to early afternoon. Will likely hike to the ridge top Saturday evening.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: McCall area . . .

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I know a guy that lives in McCall. lmao! That's funny. You're in ElkNut's back yard.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Don't let Elknut1 slip the hook on you buddy. He knows where every elk is hanging out, especially during hunting season. LOL
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think I met a couple of guys from McCall once or twice.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yep, that's the area of Idaho to hunt for certain.. No elk at all up north.. none... zilch.. notta... wolfs got em all... much better hunting down south ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cnelk » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Some of the pics ELKNUT1 has posted looks like a fire has burned there.... :)

Good luck on your scouting!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LckyTylr » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Phantom . . . that's what I tell all of the out-of-staters about Southern Idaho. You are full of crap. :-) The only reason I don't drive up there and shoot one of the MILLIONS of Elk you have in the panhandle is because I don't want to spend the gas money.

Does Paul live IN McCall? I thought he lived up North as well.
LckyTylr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

LckyTylr wrote:Phantom . . . that's what I tell all of the out-of-staters about Southern Idaho. You are full of crap. :-) The only reason I don't drive up there and shoot one of the MILLIONS of Elk you have in the panhandle is because I don't want to spend the gas money.

Yes sir, Paul is a McCall native. Send him a ping and I'm sure he can help you on your journey. And I'm telling you, the wolves have eaten all the elk, mule deer, whitetail, ptarmigan, ocelot, wildebeest, river otters, bull trout, pine marten, coyotes, black footed ferret, Meer cats, common hummingbirds, and snowy egrets in N Idaho. Why won't you believe me?
WapitiTalk1

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:
LckyTylr wrote:Phantom . . . that's what I tell all of the out-of-staters about Southern Idaho. You are full of crap. :-) The only reason I don't drive up there and shoot one of the MILLIONS of Elk you have in the panhandle is because I don't want to spend the gas money.

Yes sir, Paul is a McCall native. Send him a ping and I'm sure he can help you on your journey. And I'm telling you, the wolves have eaten all the elk, mule deer, whitetail, ptarmigan, ocelot, wildebeest, river otters, bull trout, pine marten, coyotes, black footed ferret, Meer cats, common hummingbirds, and snowy egrets in N Idaho. Why won't you believe me?

That's mostly true. All but the wildebeests are gone. I got a nice Black Wildebeest in unit 4 last fall. But everything else is gone.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

FemoralArchery wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:
LckyTylr wrote: That's mostly true. All but the wildebeests are gone. I got a nice Black Wildebeest in unit 4 last fall. But everything else is gone.

Well of course you're right on this. I went blank for a moment and forgot. The Northern Range Black Wildebeest is one of the Timber Wolf's natural enemies. If I remember correctly, they were secrety transplanted in Norther ID and MT by ranchers in an attempt to keep the wolves at bay. If you haven't seen a wildebeest stalk and take down a pack of wolves, you haven't lived 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Z Barebow » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Well of course you're right on this. I went blank for a moment and forgot. The Northern Range Black Wildebeest is one of the Timber Wolf's natural enemies. If I remember correctly, they were secrety transplanted in Norther ID and MT by ranchers in an attempt to keep the wolves at bay. If you haven't seen a wildebeest stalk and take down a pack of wolves, you haven't lived 8-)[/quote]

These wildebeasts are not native! They are from Canada!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby LckyTylr » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 12]

And . . . they are bigger than the native Wildebeasts. I'm talking 4,000 fire-breathing monsters.
LckyTylr

McCall area . . .

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 13]

LMAO!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Yes sir I live in McCall, home of the wily Wildebeast!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JoeH2o » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Yes sir, Paul is a McCall native

Almost, but not quite. :lol:
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen