Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Kitty kittty

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Kitty kittty

Postby Lefty » 04 18, 2024 •  [Post 1]

A few years back public input ( mostly lion hunters :lol: ) reduced the lion take in our surrounding mountains.
Lions have always been around more often than not. Ive only seen lions 3 different times in town, crossing the freeway.

A few years back two different girls students brought pictures of lions in the basement window wells.
My country neighborhood had a lion for a while,,, until any possible outdoor can and the dog was gone.

A gal my daughter works with took a video earlier this week of the cat walking down the street before sunrise

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vEBRpqI9h1E
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Kitty kittty

Postby wawhitey » 04 22, 2024 •  [Post 2]

My parents neighbor has had quite a few sheep go missing lately. Checked a cam at my parents place today, and this guy has been hanging around lately. (Year is wrong on pic, but date is right) guess we know whats been happening to the sheep!
Attachments
Attachment_copy_800x450.jpg
Attachment_copy_800x450.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 04 23, 2024 •  [Post 3]

2 stands today, no action. Went calling a few miles down the rd on some local timber company land. Pulled a camera that i havent checked since nov 14th 2022. It was still running too, and not flipped by bears. The deer / moose action was pretty pathetic, but tons of lion pics, several bears, a bobcat and a wolf.
If this wind dies down im going to walk nextdoor to the 240 acre chunk of vaagen that borders my property and do a stand before dark.
Attachments
HUNT0288_copy_800x449.jpg
HUNT0288_copy_800x449.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 25 times
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 4]

Mostly lion pics,,,,,,, not many deer or mooses,,, maybe there is a correlation :lol:
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 04 25, 2024 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:Mostly lion pics,,,,,,, not many deer or mooses,,, maybe there is a correlation :lol:

Theres definitely a correlation, but this place has been massively infested with lions for years now, but still had a ton of moose and a lot of deer. But a wolf pack moved in, and decided to den in the best moose wintering area. After that happened, the deer, and especially the moose numbers, went downhill rapidly. Now im not saying the lions arent to blame. I think the wolves were kind of the straw that broke the camells back. Like the moose could handle all the lions, they could hndle a wolf pack, but both combined, its just too much. That stretch of mountains is ruined now. I just hope the cougars are killing lots of wolves. Thats been a thing around here.
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 04 26, 2024 •  [Post 6]

Wolves are hard on moose and beaver.

When we moved to Idaho the moose unit was 35 bulls and 10 cow moose. There was little effort needed to find a moose.
Now there are 10 tags since wolves appeared.

In the portion where we elk hunt we saw 1 small bull 3 years ago out of 300 days in that portion of the unit.

Kind of a cool side note.
Years back I spotted a cat trail coming off of a mountain. I made the nearly torturest trek 2 miles in deep snow. A cow and calve moose had set up a home in the deep snow. The lion killed the calf earlier in the winter, then eventually killed the cow.
fortunately for the big tom he had just finished off the edibles on the cow and had moved off earlier in the week,
Also found where that tom killed a smaller lion on a deer. A tooth hole centered in the skull.
Lefty