Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Road Trip to Sun Valley for Gus

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Road Trip to Sun Valley for Gus

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Well, heading to Sun Valley, ID next weekend. Taking our 2 year 4 month old yellow lab Gus to have his knees fixed up. If you remember, we've only had him a few weeks. Got the XRays done this past Sunday and both Gus's rear knees are bad and in need of rebuilding. Our Vet seems to think one has been bad for a long time and the other one probably has something to do with me overdoing the playtime when he first got out here. Oh well, gotta take care of Gus and get his legs back under him. It's a great clinic in Sun Valley and the doc there does both knees at one time (he's done a ton of these procedures with an outstanding success rate). Wish Gus luck!

IMG_2256.JPG
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Road Trip to Sun Valley for Gus

Postby Shadow24 » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 2]

About four years ago our chesapeake tore his ACL while duck hunting. We took him to the same clinic in Sun Valley and in a few short months he was back to normal. Hope Gus has a speedy recovery!
Shadow24

Postby Elkduds » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Our Viszla Bella came into foster care lame w ACL (L hind), we had her surgery in Grand Junction when she was just over a year old. It was a huge challenge to keep her on leash and inactive for the 3 months after surgery, used the crate a lot for that. Now she is 9, a total jock dog. Never had another knee issue since that surgery. I know the technology has improved in the last 8 years. Best big investment in dog health we ever made, well worth the time and $. I've mostly loved my own ACL knee since it was fixed in 1997. I still say Gus is a lucky dog to have people like you.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby zpd307 » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 4]

good luck on the trip!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby welcher83 » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Good luck Gus!

We are taking our Blue Tick Coonhound in for ACL surgery on Aug 19 here in Boise.
welcher83

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Good luck! :D
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby Lefty » 08 07, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Good looking fella you have there.
If my girl was a few years younger 8-) and it was the right season
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 07, 2015 •  [Post 8]

What a great looking dog! Good luck Gus! I had a red lab that had both knees done and the recovery was 100%.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby bowhunter04 » 08 07, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Hope everything goes well for Gus. You're giving Gus a new lease on life and you deserve to be commended for it!
bowhunter04

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Fischer

Postby Toothy » 08 10, 2015 •  [Post 10]

That's a great looking dog, my black just turned 12... She's completely retired now and lives life on the couch or in the pool. Best wishes on the upcoming surgery.
Toothy

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 10, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Thanks for the well wishes folks. I'll let you know how Gus does with his bionic knees ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby 2011bullyelk » 08 11, 2015 •  [Post 12]

The Ackers are excellent vet's. I have taken several of my dogs to them for the exact same thing, both dogs came out 100 percent if not better. They also have a real love of animals and will take great care of him! Good luck and enjoy our little valley while you are here!
2011bullyelk

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Chatterton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 11, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Thanks for the intel Jim. I've heard wonderful things about their outfit.

Convalescent ramps are built and are on standby. Yellow dog loads up Thursday morning and is on his way to Sun Valley, ID and hopefully, a successful procedure and a pair of functional bionic rear knees ;) . It'll be a long road to recovery but in the end, I think he'll have a great quality of life. Who knows, maybe he'll crash the water for a duck or soft mouth a juicy pheasant down the road. At a minimum, he'll get some quality lake swimming time, squeaky tennis balls thrown, and some good company with the goofiest set of mouse dogs you've ever seen (Boston Terrier mix, Whippet mix, Pug mix).

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 08 12, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Ramps and all! You just scored some brownie points with me Rory. A man who has no limits to what he will do for his dog speaks volumes about his integrity. The more people I meet the more I like my dogs... but for now I won't be "unfriending" you Phantom.

Good luck Gus. xoxo
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 12, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Thanks Joe. He's a very nice yellow dog and full of personality and energy. Just gotta get the faulty moving parts repaired and he should be fine. He's a darn expensive "free to good home" 2 year 4 month old lab ;) . We've only had him for a bit less than a month. Our vet suspects that his left rear knee has been bad for a long time, perhaps since birth. I'm sure I'm responsible for trashing the other one as I over-played him the first day we had him. I think I put this in another thread but the PO's were a very nice young couple who were never home (blossoming careers) and felt bad that the dog was kenneled all the time and wanted to find him a better place to hang his hat (err, collar). When Gus came out to our house for the visit, I played with him a bunch and he was certainly not used to it as evidenced by him not being able to stand the next morning :? . Off we go to ID tomorrow morning; Gus is too darn young to be in this bad way; gonna get him fixed up.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 15, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Gus made it back from Sun Valley in one piece.. Long darn trip both ways (690ish miles one way) with some nasty fire smoke along the way, more pronounced on the way home. Gus's double knee surgeries went well, no issues/complications. When the doc examimed him Friday morning, he confirmed what our local vet had said... both knees were bad and needed done. After the procedures, Dr. Ackers showed us the film before/after and told us he figured his knees had been bad for a long time. That kind of made me feel a bit better as I figured I had caused some damage when he first moved in and I over-played him. Showed us that his muscle mass in those hind quads were pretty weak and he had some calcium buildups on each side. At any rate, two months of quiet time for Gus (on leash to whizz, walk out in the yard, etc.). The doc said I can take him swimming after three weeks which made me (and probably Gus) happy as I feel so bad he has to stay cooped up during the healing process; he said swimming was good therapy but only in a lake and not river/creek romping. Sounds like after 4 months, he'll be completely ready to start a stepped PT therapy where I can build him up to a physical fitness level that's he's probably never experienced before with those old knees. Gotta be honest, I was more than choked up when I saw him come walking out of the back of the Sun Valley vet's office with rebuilt knees. He gave Kim and I some pretty heartfelt face licks and I think all three of us knew we'd made the right decision. Thanks for all the well wishes for the yellow dog.. he sure is a nice old hound. Rory

Here's a pic of Gus in his inside training pen (on Kim's new carpet... hee hee). He's on some pretty good pain meds ;). Has a pain patch on one leg that stays on for five days. Thanks to Larry (Lamrith) for lending us his big dog crate. We'll alternate between the training pen and the crate as our schedule dictates.

IMG_2345.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 08 16, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Its hard but worth it. U R giving Gus a quality or life he never had and never knew he was missing. Thanks for keeping us posted, and continued GOOD LUCK.
Elkduds

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 17, 2015 •  [Post 18]

That's cool that you can at least take him swimming soon. I hope his recovery is fast! I'm sure it takes tremendous patients to have him on a leash for two months. Good luck! I cant imagine having the discipline to not let him run when he's feeling better. :( Poor dog, but this is for the best! :D
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby Elkduds » 09 03, 2015 •  [Post 19]

How's Gus recovering?
Elkduds

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 03, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Elkduds wrote:How's Gus recovering?

He's coming along fine, thanks for asking; went in for his two week checkup last Friday. He's three weeks into his recovery tomorrow and has five more to go. He's still on leash restriction to do his outside business and vet said absolutely, under no circumstance, can he get too excited and bounce around as labs like to do. That's the toughest part as his new BFF, Larry the Whippet mix, constantly wants to play with Gus. It's all fine when Larry is just wrestling with him on the carpet in the living room but in the blink of an eye, Larry can get Gus jumping and wanting to take off. Larry has to be watched closely so he doesn't get the yellow dog going too much.. Here's the culprit below; sure is funny to see those two goofballs play. Can't wait to get Gus healed up and back into shape so Larry can run him around the yard.

IMG_1052.JPG
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Hey campers, we took yellow dog to a small lake out in the sticks a few weeks ago to see if he remembers how to swim. The young guy is really doing well on his recovery and I can't say enough about Dr. Ackers in Sun Valley and his staff. Gus is well down the road to a full recovery and an active life. Here's a small clip of him taking his first plunge in a long, long time (a few weeks back). Working him slowly to get his muscle tone and stamina back up. Thanks for looking. RJ

WapitiTalk1

Postby GobbleFarmer » 11 09, 2015 •  [Post 22]

Wow thats awesome! He's looking so good, and active! good for you and Gus, I am very glad that he is doing so well!
GobbleFarmer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 16, 2016 •  [Post 23]

Well, it's the dog days of rainy winter here in Washington State and obviously, Gus is a Pink Floyd fan. I give you "Pigs, Three Different Ones" :D ... Ya, he already got to do some retrieving of his thingamajig over the bank after work but when Mrs. Phantom brought home, umm, pigs... three different ones, the little dogs sneered at them and Gus went to town! I think he's gonna be OK.

WapitiTalk1

Postby 2MANY » 02 17, 2016 •  [Post 24]

Glad Gus is doing well although I think he should listen to a little Led Zeppelin from time to time.
2MANY

Postby Elkduds » 02 17, 2016 •  [Post 25]

2MANY wrote:Glad Gus is doing well although I think he should listen to a little Led Zeppelin from time to time.

3 Dog Night, Bow Wow Wow, Stray Cats... :roll:
Elkduds

Postby lamrith » 03 01, 2016 •  [Post 26]

Gus is a pure ball of energy now for sure. There is just something infectious about a happy/healthy labrador, just want to get in there and play all day long. It was very good to see him back to 100%, moving much better than when I 1st met him.

Those Larry's you gotta watchout for.. We, I mean they can get Gus spun up to max in the blink of an eye..
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 24, 2016 •  [Post 27]

Tonight, Gus wallowed like a bull in our muddy yard. A bucket of warm soapy water and a cold rinse and he was allowed back in Mrs Phantoms house. What a goofball.

image.jpg

image.jpg
WapitiTalk1

Postby GobbleFarmer » 03 25, 2016 •  [Post 28]

:lol: Good boy Gus!
GobbleFarmer

Postby Lefty » 03 27, 2016 •  [Post 29]

I hope you have a warm /hot water outdoor bathing platform for such a great dog!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2016 •  [Post 30]

Lefty wrote:I hope you have a warm /hot water outdoor bathing platform for such a great dog!!

Warm bucket scrub, cold hose rinse. Remember I'm on the W side of WA. Mowing the lawn already here ;)
WapitiTalk1