Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

gettin old

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

gettin old

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 1]

New to this forum and looking forward to good reads!! Here is my problem, I just turned 50 and things are going south quickly. I have always had 20/20 and now I am losing my vision up close. I need reading glasses for everything close now. Well here is my problem, I pulled my bow out this weekend and went to shoot and I had a real hard time seeing my pins, I can see the target perfect but the pins seemed to blend in with one another and yes I have a Arizona bull tag this year. Any suggestions would be great, I can't be the only person w/ this issue. thanks in advance.
Azbcat25

Re: gettin old

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 2]

if i had an AZ tag, i would make an eye doc appointment ASAP.

my close up vision is going to the pooper as well, but i can still see my pins. i do however need to get rid of my 0.10" pins and switch them all to 0.19" pins.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 3]

thanks for the reminder..i am going to try to rush ship my sight back to Montana Black gold for a hurried pin swap.
pointysticks

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Is the .19 pin a bigger and brighter pin? Don't have vision coverage right now but need to figure something out!!
Azbcat25

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Azbcat25 wrote:Is the .19 pin a bigger and brighter pin? Don't have vision coverage right now but need to figure something out!!

exactly. they are bigger. so the fiber is bigger and pulls in more light.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 6]

you know what? have you ever considered a single pin sight? maybe one big one in the middle might be your solution.

you will have to re-learn how to fuss with a slider sight when i big AZ bull is creeping in on you screaming and peeing himself. could get crazy.
pointysticks

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 7]

yea I thought about the one pin but I don't like the idea of having to range, set pin then draw! By the time I've done that he is probably no longer at the same distance. I am going to do some research tonight and see if I can get the .19s and yes he is going to be BIG, excellent rains up north and I have the whole hunt off for the first time ever, can't wait!!
Azbcat25

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Specialty peep sights with a Verifier lens. Basically it's a peep sight with lens in that acts as cheaters (or reading glasses). Your problem is typical for the aging process. Guys see down range fine bit have issues with the pin. This clears up your pin without messing with the sight you like or the target. If you have a shop that sells them close by they'll have a tool you can use to find the right lens for you. Very popular at the shop I work at.
HurricaneHuge

Postby blackwolf » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I am 61 and have been using the "verifier" peep the last 6 years. Works great!
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I'm with blackwolf, I had the same exact issues as you at 60 & the verifier peep was like a miracle, it will help you too! All you need to know is the power of glasses you use to read with, they have a verifier that will covert your needed strength, it's a life saver for sure & you won't need to send your MBG sight back, it's what I use today!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 11]

AWSOME!!!! that was the reply I was hoping to see. This lens doesn't affect the clarity of your target ( that big bull at 40?) Going to the bow shop after work. Thanks!!
Azbcat25

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 12]

No it doesn't as a matter a fact it makes your target even clearer, you'll love them! It's legal for use too, it's not a magnifier that some states don't allow. Let us know if you need any contact info?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 13]

went to the archery shop and he did have 1 I asked him what the lens strength was and he said he wasn't sure he asked me what strength of glasses I used and I told him 2 and 2.5 and he said this one would probably work. $80.00 He is closed today and told me to bring my bow in tomorrow and we would go from there. I was thinking about going to the glass shop in WalMart after work today too see if I can find out exactly what strength of optic I need because with only 1 available I want to make sure I get the right one. I was looking on line and they have them for sale everywhere and It seems like they are #ed 4 through 9. Your thoughts on the direction I should go
Azbcat25

Postby CurlyTail » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 14]

You need bifocal glasses. See the optometrist.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby pointysticks » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 15]

what happens when you have to hunt in the rain?

the glass gets wet and then what?
pointysticks

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 16]

pointysticks wrote:what happens when you have to hunt in the rain?

I think you are right, but if one really needs one of these things to make an ethical shot, than I think it's worth it, and he will likely pass a shot if he can't wipe the water off of it. Just my .02
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby Azbcat25 » 08 07, 2015 •  [Post 17]

I will be getting one of these, not sure there is a better option I just need to gather the funds. Do I need to have the archery shop install this or is it something I can install (pretty good with my hands)? I wouldn't think bifocals would work, is there anybody out there that uses them for shooting? Thanks for all the advice.
Azbcat25

Postby pointysticks » 08 07, 2015 •  [Post 18]

GobbleFarmer wrote:
pointysticks wrote:what happens when you have to hunt in the rain?

I think you are right, but if one really needs one of these things to make an ethical shot, than I think it's worth it, and he will likely pass a shot if he can't wipe the water off of it. Just my .02

very strong point. thanks.
pointysticks

Postby chiledog » 08 16, 2015 •  [Post 19]

The verifier does work well. I used one for about 5 years and it made all the difference until my distance vision started failing me. Last year. Have had a dickens of a time. Am now using my prescription glasses with a regular 1/4" peep. Had .029" pins that haloed terribly. Changed to new site with pins at .019" and still halo a little but doable. Peep however looks like a donut cloud. I will have to make it work unless someone has another experience/idea.
chiledog

First Name: Tim
Last Name: Marcy

Postby timberland » 08 19, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Azbcat25 wrote:I will be getting one of these, not sure there is a better option I just need to gather the funds. Do I need to have the archery shop install this or is it something I can install (pretty good with my hands)? I wouldn't think bifocals would work, is there anybody out there that uses them for shooting? Thanks for all the advice.

Putting a peep in without a bow press is a recipe for disaster, especially two weeks before your hunt. Pay a professional! probably cost you $5, should be free if you bought the peep there.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 19, 2015 •  [Post 21]

timberland wrote:
Azbcat25 wrote:I will be getting one of these, not sure there is a better option I just need to gather the funds. Do I need to have the archery shop install this or is it something I can install (pretty good with my hands)? I wouldn't think bifocals would work, is there anybody out there that uses them for shooting? Thanks for all the advice.

Putting a peep in without a bow press is a recipe for disaster, especially two weeks before your hunt. Pay a professional! probably cost you $5, should be free if you bought the peep there.
Yes listen to this guy! Good advice right there. Having a pro put one in is the way to go and $5 seems to be the fee.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer