Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wounded Car Hit Deer

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wounded Car Hit Deer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 17, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Would you/do you put down an obviously suffering deer if you see one on the side of the road? I have done this several times in the past and then notified the law without any repercussions to this point. I normally carry a pistol with me (concealed carry weapon) and don't hesitate to put a car hit critter down if I see one. I have heard various horror stories about folks actually getting into trouble by doing this.

Would you/do you put down an obviously suffering car hit deer/critter if you see one? Have you heard of any incidents where a person got into trouble by doing this?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Wounded Car Hit Deer

Postby pointysticks » 11 17, 2014 •  [Post 2]

i live in California. the SWAT team would show up. :)

luckily, our drivers are brutally fast..so the deer rarely get wounded.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 17, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I would not here in Minnesota. If it happened to be a good buck the DNR are looking for you because you must have tried to hit it. My bosses wife seen 2 kids picking up a 150" off the road that they did not hit. Next day the local DNR was looking for them. Now if someone seen you shoot a wounded deer (150") good-by license for 3 years.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby wawhitey » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Technically it would be poaching, and being from washington you know what were dealing with with the wdfw. that being said i would still put down a mortally wounded deer, as long as it was in a place and time where i wouldnt be seen doing it (and pretty much everywhere i drive with deer populations is VERY low in traffic). i always have a gun on me, and if it was in an area where a gunshot would be considered suspicious id use my knife. hasnt happened yet but ive thought about this very thing, as i live in a rural area and see roadkilled deer all the time. screw the written law, ill follow my moral compass and do the right thing, save an animal a horrible night of suffering getting ripped apart by scavengers until its death.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 5]

My brother lived on a busy deer killing road in southern Minnesota. He butchered a lot of road kills So his local CO was use to his phone message.
We were contractors so most deer died of a well placed hit with a hammer.
Friday was right about Minnesota COs
He did say he picked up a nice buck one time and a CO was there to get the head. Then questioned him. He never brought home another road kill buck
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby zpd307 » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 6]

the guy that hit this, in town in a 40 mph zone, didn't want it. so I wrote myself a tag and had the wife and friend come by and pick it up. didn't want to get the uniform dirty. 60 plus pounds of meat that I didn't have earlier...
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (205.08 KiB) Viewed 6977 times
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Lefty » 11 30, 2014 •  [Post 7]

zpd307 wrote:the guy that hit this, in town in a 40 mph zone, didn't want it. so I wrote myself a tag and had the wife and friend come by and pick it up. didn't want to get the uniform dirty. 60 plus pounds of meat that I didn't have earlier..]

during the rut?

When I lived in Mankato a fair sized buck was hit and killed in the middle of town. I stopped and asked the driver if he wanted it. Turned out the driver was a CO from northern Mn.
" Good! Here is Riches phone # (our local CO) At that time it was a more evolved process to get road kills.
Lefty

Postby zpd307 » 12 01, 2014 •  [Post 8]

dennis, yep this guy was hit chasing the ladies. getting a car kill permit is super easy.....
zpd307

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 02, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Gary can you drive out the Goodhue If I need a tag some day. I hope it never happens.
zpd307 wrote: getting a car kill permit is super easy.....
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby zpd307 » 12 02, 2014 •  [Post 10]

staties and deputies write them all the time, especially during the rut. you don't even have to hit the deer to get the permit. the county has a list of names of people who want to be called if we come across a deer that isn't too mangled....
zpd307

Postby timberland » 12 03, 2014 •  [Post 11]

Friend of mine was a police officer in Maple Lake,MN and many many times the people that held a permit were there waiting when he was called out to an accident or to dispatch a deer.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2014 •  [Post 12]

I definitely would. I'm not going to watch an animal suffer.

In Pa roadkill deer belong to the Game Commission. You can keep racks but they charge you a fee of $10 per point. Extortion if you ask me and the really nice bucks that are hit are "not for sale".
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby zpd307 » 12 03, 2014 •  [Post 13]

a car killed deer should be used, not sold....
zpd307

Postby Indian Summer » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 14]

I hit a decent buck one time in Minnesota. On cruise control at about 72 mph. CRUSHED him. A state trooper came and gave me a ride. Another guy stopped and asked if I was taking the deer. The trooper asked me if I wanted to keep it. I said no so he told the other guy it was all his. It was certainly tenderized!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby wawhitey » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Anybody have any first hand experience with a really solid bumper that saved your rig? Im thinking of getting one. Its only a matter of time where i live before i smack a deer.
wawhitey

Postby swmoelk » 02 24, 2015 •  [Post 16]

I've taken several roadkill deer home here in rural Missouri. Mostly does and small bucks it doesn't take long for a bigger buck to lose his head out here. I always get upset that someone will take the time to cut off the head but leave all the meat there. I know some deer are unsalvageable but I still think we should try. Roadkill is how I learned the gutless method for quartering deer long before it was on YouTube. Lol. My friends give me grief about it but they love the RK sausage. I actually salvaged 3 this past fall and I will be having some for my dinner tonight.. As far as game wardens in MO I don't worry too much about it but I do label it in the freezer with when and where it was hit. The rule at our house is " If you don't really want to know what you're eating don't ask"
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2015 •  [Post 17]

wawhitey wrote:Anybody have any first hand experience with a really solid bumper that saved your rig? Im thinking of getting one. Its only a matter of time where i live before i smack a deer.

I built a bumper out of 4 inch tubing and a grill cover of 3/16 x 1 1/4 . It was designed to push over small quakies in northern Mn.
Deer hair washed right off
I was pretty proud when I built it up to that time I had only seen a few cow catchers in Wyoming
Lefty

Postby Wapitibob » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 18]

Bang
Legal to put it down in OR due to an obscure law but you can't take possession of it.
Wapitibob

Postby wawhitey » 02 27, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Wapitibob wrote:Bang
Legal to put it down in OR due to an obscure law but you can't take possession of it.

I wish wa was at least rational enough for that. I dont need t keep it, but ill be damned if i let a deer die a horrible slow death cause some moron was paying more attention to their phone than their driving. It would legally be poaching, but if i see a situation like that, screw the law, im doing the right thing and ending the animals misery. Man i hate washington sometimes
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 03 04, 2015 •  [Post 20]

wawhitey wrote:
Wapitibob wrote:Bang

I wish wa was at least rational enough for that. I dont need t keep it, but ill be damned if i let a deer die a horrible slow death cause some moron was paying more attention to their phone than their driving. It would legally be poaching, but if i see a situation like that, screw the law, im doing the right thing and ending the animals misery. Man i hate washington sometimes

well i have to eat my words here. Last night on the way to work there was a deer laying in the ditch very much alert and alive. I came to a rolling stop expecting it to jump out in front of my truck but it just started frantically flopping trying to get up to run away. Mustve been hit really recently. My first thought was i need to put this thing down before the coyotes get it and start pulling its guts out while its still alive. But, i was on a long dark country road and of course the one house in sight was right there. Guaranteed they would have had my plates and turned me in. At which point the state could have gone so far as to take my truck, as technically it would have been "used for poaching." So i called the regional wdfw office and it was after business hours, being about 6:30pm. My next step was to call a local game wardens cell and of course he was off duty so all i could do was leave him a voicemail about it. With that house right there i ended up with no choice but to drive off and leave the deer to a long miserable last night. Made me pretty sick that i couldnt do anything to help it out without getting completely screwed. Would have taken all of 30 seconds to put one in its head and spare it a lot of suffering.
wawhitey

Postby zpd307 » 03 05, 2015 •  [Post 21]

stupid stupid law...... i killed a calf elk in utah, that was wrapped up in a barbed wire fence, and next to death. it couldnt move after i untangled its hind leg. even after the utah game and fish officer said that that it was illegal, but they would get to it when the would get to it. i would have gladly flew back to utah to defend myself in court.....
zpd307

Postby idahoghost » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 22]

Years ago, my father hit a deer in Bend, OR. We was going to put it out of it's misery, but didn't. The police showed up, took them six shots.... He asked what would have happened if he had killed it. He was told a citation would have been issued for firing a gun within the city limits and not even to think about it. I am quite sure it wouldn't have taken him six shots...........
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Tigger » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 23]

well not a deer, but I had a skunk running around the neighborhood in the daytime about a year after we moved up here from the Minneapolis suburbs. I technically live in the city limits of a town of about 12,000 in west central MN, but I am pretty rural. I got the .22 and the wife said "you cant shoot that! we are in the city limits". I said, "where we live now, we are EXPECTED to shoot it!". I shot it. I ran into the police chief a few days later and told him about it. His response? "I aint gonna tell ya you shouldn't shoot it!".
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 24]

Id love to get a skunk mounted. Porcupine too. You do anything with it?
wawhitey