Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery Pronghorn Success Video - Public Land

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery Pronghorn Success Video - Public Land

Postby MountainmanZ » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Hey all,
Just sharing my hunt from opening weekend. Passed on quite a few bucks both stalking and sitting in the blind, then took this buck on the second morning. Hunted antelope for five weeks last season, but pressed for time this year, so decided I'd better take a shot opening weekend. My fifth buck with a bow in the past six seasons, forth on public land, 2nd from a blind, and my closest (only 36 yds). He only went about 15 yds. Hope you enjoy it. (Don't mean to promote on here, the intro is something I do with all my vids) Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qB4MOsCkM
MountainmanZ

First Name: Zach
Last Name: Even

Re: Archery Pronghorn Success Video - Public Land

Postby zpd307 » 08 25, 2014 •  [Post 2]

zach, congrats! nice buck, i have only recently explored speed goat hunting....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Fridaythe13th » 08 26, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Nice shot, how many days did you sit there?
Some day I well get back for some speed goat action. I just wished they tasted better or I knew how to cook them. We made them into brats and were still dry, took a lot of ketchup and mustard.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby MountainmanZ » 08 26, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys. I only sat there one evening and then one morning. This helps make up for last season when I sat for many 14 hour days, dark to dark, baking like a potato in that scorching blind.
Man, of the five I've shot now with my bow I've never had an antelope that tasted bad, even though I hear that all the time from people. Maybe it's the way I take care of them right after the shot, I don't know. They can be dry though if I grill them too long, but I love the lean meat (not been gamey at all). They've all died very quickly, I get them cleaned out, then skin them, then the whole carcass (minus neck and lower legs) goes snugly into my cooler, I get to the nearest town and drop a bag of ice in the cooler, and they've always tasted great! They're feeding on grass and sage, so who knows. I sure enjoy hunting them though! Glad you enjoyed the video!
MountainmanZ

Postby Lefty » 08 26, 2014 •  [Post 5]

good video work!
Thanks for posting it up

Fridaythe13th wrote:,...I just wished they tasted better or I knew how to cook them. .
Other than desert sheep; antelope are the best wild game out there.
I use to joke to my friends back in Minnesota the reason antelope taste bad, You shoot them in Wyoming on Monday, and its 90 degrees that afternoon. Tuesday you have filled your groups tag Any you get home Wednesday night to late to finish taking care of the meat

Shoot one, cape it if your keeping the head, cut all the meat off the bone and bag your meat in game bags and place on top of a board in your cooler , then seal your cooler, first town with dry ice put in a few pounds
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 29, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Nice video and what a great shot. I have always heard the meat doesnt taste very good and I am glad to hear otherwise!. I want to try a hunt like this....someday.
Some of those people that say pronghorn taste bad also say they dont like elk meat :roll:
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby planebow » 08 29, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I hear lots of people say how bad antelope taste bad but it is one of my favorites. When I shoot a antelope I get it skinned as soon as possible. I built a hoist that fits into my hitch and usually skin them right where I shoot them. I see a lot of people come back from a several day hunt with several antelope in the back of there pickups un skinned.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby MountainmanZ » 08 30, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Yep, I also gut and skin them right where I shoot them. Just ate some of this buck and he tastes great, just like the last four.

Again, glad you guys like the video, and thanks for the compliment on the shot. Practice, practice, practice ;)
MountainmanZ

Postby LckyTylr » 09 01, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Very Cool . . . Perfect Shot . . . Dang . . . That should be on a shot-placement video.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 08, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Zach, very nice buck & shot sir, congrats!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul