Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

OK, I gotta ask

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

OK, I gotta ask

Postby Willie makit » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Ok, I’ve read it on here a few times, all the big time "pros" on TV talk about it and it throws me off every time I hear it, forgive me as I'm from the south. What gives with the hunting "at night" thing?

I grew up if you went hunting "tonight" you better be coon hunting or you certainly didn’t advertise to anyone that you were hunting "at night" or you will get your guns, your truck and your spotlight taken away and you'll be paying alimony to the state for a long, long time.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Re: OK, I gotta ask

Postby LckyTylr » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to? What are the pros on tv talking about hunting at night, what species, any idea of what state they are talking about? What about where you have heard it on here? I know that some states allow hunting at night for various critters, mostly furbearing. I think even NY allows coyote and fox hunting at night with a spotlight and electronic call . . . of all places.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Swede » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Willie: That is a good question. Elk hunters hunt at night with no weapon. What we do is call and listen for a response, then leave that area alone for awhile. In the early morning the elk are expected to be nearby, so then calling will be done to fully engage the bull and work in for a kill. Night hunting elk is just a form of scouting. Maybe that is what it should be called.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Sneaky » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 4]

They are most likely referring to this afternoon or evening.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby Willie makit » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Just about any big game hunting show calls the afternoon hunt "tonight", be it antelope, deer or elk. It's also been refered to that on here from time to time. I'm just curious about how 'tonight' came from evening hunt.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby nippip » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Willie: That is a good question. Elk hunters hunt at night with no weapon. What we do is call and listen for a response, then leave that area alone for awhile. In the early morning the elk are expected to be nearby, so then calling will be done to fully engage the bull and work in for a kill. Night hunting elk is just a form of scouting. Maybe that is what it should be called.

Swede, being totally new to bow hunting and only rifle hunted for two years I still have tons to learn and thus the following question. Would you mind elaborating on the night “hunt”? I read Elknut’s post about full moon hunts and I was not completely sure what he was up to “hunting” under the full moon. You have given me an idea but I would love to know more on the how’s and why’s.
Regards,
Nippip
nippip

First Name: nippip
Last Name: W

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Niprip: I may need help understanding your question. Night hunting has nothing to do with moon phase. Night hunting is just going out and locating elk. Bulls are often more vocal at night, so you can bugle and get a response. The elk don't travel far at night, so after learning where they are, you can return in the morning and pursue them legally with your weapon. This tactic is done mostly by bow hunters, but will work well for rifle hunters. As a rifle hunter I would feel a lot safer calling at night, knowing I will not be encouraging some hunter with a rifle to think I am a bull he wants.
I did not get involved with the moon phase discussion this time, as it has been covered on the forum previously. The answer is always the same. Forget the moon phase and just go hunting.
I hope this helps. If that is not what you were really wanting to know, please ask again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby nippip » 04 23, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Niprip: I may need help understanding your question. Night hunting has nothing to do with moon phase. Night hunting is just going out and locating elk. Bulls are often more vocal at night, so you can bugle and get a response. The elk don't travel far at night, so after learning where they are, you can return in the morning and pursue them legally with your weapon. This tactic is done mostly by bow hunters, but will work well for rifle hunters as well. As a rifle hunter I would feel a lot safer calling at night, knowing I will not be encouraging some hunter with a rifle to think I am a bull he wants.
I did not get involved with the moon phase discussion this time, as it has been covered on the forum previously. The answer is always the same. Forget the moon phase and just go hunting.
I hope this helps. If that is not what you were really wanting to know, please ask again.

Thanks Swede, That was exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to figure out how to call to get a response :)
nippip

First Name: nippip
Last Name: W