Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boot Recommendations?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Boot Recommendations?

Postby Indian Summer » 11 14, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Looking for some input.

I'm looking for a boot for mid range weather. Temps from 45 to 65+ so somewhat insulated. Roughly 8 inches high for crossing small streams. Good ankle support. Must have an aggressive tread. 110% waterproof.

My feet aren't wide per say but definitely not narrow. It would be nice to know that the company backs their product too. I'd like to know the price as well but that's not a deciding factor.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Boot Recommendations?

Postby redtop » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Joe, Look at Schnees Beartooth. Best boot I've ever owned and I've used everything from sneakers to pacs to plastic double boots. I have the uninsulated version of them and have found them perfect for archery season through 12 inches of snow. They are really waterproof for a leather boot and super comfortable with a great lugged sole. Quiet enough to stalk in.They are kind of pricey but worth every penny in my mind. I've thought of buying another pair just in case they ever stop making them. AND they are not made in China!
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

I'm a one boot hunter! I don't have boots for warm weather & another for colder weather. Terrain doesn't matter either. I take & hunt with a single one & that's been with a few different ones over the years. The last several years has been with the Crispt GTX Hunters. I'm switching this year to the new narrow kenetrek boots, they look great & I know they are a rugged boot which I need. They are in the 425.00 range.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 4]

redtop wrote:Joe, Look at Schnees Beartooth. Best boot I've ever owned and I've used everything from sneakers to pacs to plastic double boots. I have the uninsulated version of them and have found them perfect for archery season through 12 inches of snow. They are really waterproof for a leather boot and super comfortable with a great lugged sole. Quiet enough to stalk in.They are kind of pricey but worth every penny in my mind. I've thought of buying another pair just in case they ever stop making them. AND they are not made in China!

i have these as well. the insulated version. warm!! and super super waterproof. i describe them as "boxing gloves for your feet".

i think they are over-burly for most of my hunting. i have switched to a lighter boot and i move better. (i.e. fall less). if you need foot armor..go beartooths.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 11 15, 2014 •  [Post 5]

My current boot are the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000s. I love them. But 1000 grams is too much for the weather I described above.

Paul... what model Kenetrek are you looking at?

Those Beartooth's sound good and with 2 thumbs up I'll have to check them out for sure. I get outfitter discounts from both of those companies too. Thanks guys.
Indian Summer

Postby otcWill » 11 16, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I bought the Lowa Cevedale Tech light Hunters last year. I've got about 600 miles on em now. Best boot thats ever been on my foot. They show no wear after being beaten to hell since I got em. I usually trash boots in a season but these are in a league of their own. Give me a holler if ya want some more detailed review
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 16, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Joe, it would be the Mountain Extremes with 200 grams of insulation. I need a tough boot where we generally hunt with 10"-11" uppers for serious ankle support for packing myself around as well as fairly heavy loads of meat packing. Most of us here wear these types of boots, exonerated tennis shoes don't do real well here. Of course if you're young you can make about anything work! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 11 16, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Both my brothers are Red Wing boots only since the late 70's. all because of fit
I had always been a New Balance and Danner fan, Then Cabelas

My daughter works at Sportsmans Warehouse in the shoe dept. She had me try on some Keens last night ( for my Christmas present) They sure felt nice ,
I think my recommendations could be worthlees, Boots are one thing you really need to make the choice
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 9]

octWill, how's the ankle support with those boots, such as sidehilling with & without a heavy meat load? I don't mind a lighter boot but I need solid support for the ankles since I broke my right one years back! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Pmcgee » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I've been using Lowa Tibets the last 3 yrs and really like them. I used them on my hunts in Colorado and tree stand hunting here in Pennsylvania.
Pmcgee

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: McGeever

Postby otcWill » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 11]

They don't have as much ankle support as the Tibets but they have plenty. I can't really imagine someone not liking these (Cevedale tech-lights) boots. Aaron did a product test of these and I'm sure he's tried more boots than me and would be glad to comment if you pm him on Rokslide. I did 10-15 miles a day for 20 days straight, packed out 3 bulls and I've got nothing but good things to say.
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 18, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Will, thanks. I'm heading to the big town of Boise this weekend & will see about stopping in to Sportsman's & trying them on, thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby otcWill » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Paul, not sure if you can see em at Sportsmans? I think they're only sold through Lathrop n Sons. You're gonna like em!
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 14]

I was in either Sportsman's or Cabelas a few weeks back (thought it was Sportsman's-grin) & saw they carried a full line of Lowa boots so I assumed the ones you were referring to may be there? I'll check but will also pull up the Lathrop website, thanks for the heads up!

p.s. are you running the stock insoles or other?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby otcWill » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 15]

I've got the custom cut insoles from Lathrop. The factory insoles are low grade. I never could understand why great boots have garbage foot beds in em
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 16]

Funny you mention it, I've asked myself the same thing about insoles & high dollar boots. I;m presently wearing a Crispi GTX Hunter that runs 479.00 & they too have a marginal insole, they're OK but there's a lot better out there! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 17]

Ditto on Kenetrek. The insoles they come with leave my feet pounded to death. I replaced them with the Kenetrek premium insoles and it made a world of difference.
Indian Summer

Postby wapitibowman » 11 19, 2014 •  [Post 18]

I bought the Lowa Tibet GTX Hi's this last year and they are awesome!! Paul - I got mine from Linton Outdoors (http://www.lintonoutdoors.com/) - he has his warehouse in Meridian ($380). I tried on the Kenetreks, but they killed my wide duck feet!
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 20, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Hey Rocky, thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cascjung » 11 28, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Try the Asolo Bajura at Sierra Trading Co for under $200. Asolo is great mountain boot. Just ordered a second one I don't need.
cascjung

First Name: Simon
Last Name: Jung

Postby Indian Summer » 11 28, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Thanks Simon. My friends up in New Brunswick love Asolo Boots. Can you tell me more about those? Ankle support? Waterproof? How much insulation do they have?
Indian Summer