Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cell phone gps

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cell phone gps

Postby Toby » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Is there a way to use your cell phone gps rather than carrying your normal GPS. For instance, can you mark way points or routes?
Toby

Re: Cell phone gps

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I think you can download a app. for waypoints and what ever you need. But I think the trick is you need cell service, I pretty sure your phone doesn't run off satellites. But I might be wrong
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby rowdycwby1 » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Toby check out Trimble gps hunt pro I have it and love it. You can download load unit maps so when you don't have service it shows you a tapo map and it tracks you you can set way points and many other thing plus it shows you what's private and Forrest, blm, and state lands.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby navet » 05 13, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Yep you can do it. I used only my cell phone last year. I used Back Country navigator app. It has all the bells and whistles of a handheld GPS. You can include land ownership and GMU boundaries etc. etc..You can use it without cell service by downloading maps prior to travel. I used my phone on airplane mode(so only gps and screen worked) and the battery lasted all day no problem.
navet

First Name: nathan
Last Name: douglas

Postby Toby » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Great tips. I just got my first smart phone, I know--I know a little behind the times. But, if I can make it work no need to carry two devices. I have a great camera on my phone, and I may even get service from a few high peaks to contact home.now, I just need to check out the Apps that rowdy and navet suggested and figure out how to make them work. I'm not very good with the tech. stuff.
Toby

Postby steviek » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Does anyone know if they make an app to make your smart phone into sat phone?

I would think if they can link a GPS sat without cell reception that they can link to a sat for text or phone, but I maybe way off base.
steviek

First Name: Steve
Last Name: K

Postby navet » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 7]

steviek wrote:Does anyone know if they make an app to make your smart phone into sat phone?

I would think if they can link a GPS sat without cell reception that they can link to a sat for text or phone, but I maybe way off base.

I have not seen one. They do make a device you can pair with your phone via bluetooth that will function like a sat. phone/messaging device/PLB. Problem with pairing them is it runs down your phone battery very fast. I chose a PLB that I did not have to pair with my phone.
navet

First Name: nathan
Last Name: douglas

Postby Wyo67 » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 8]

steviek wrote:Does anyone know if they make an app to make your smart phone into sat phone?

Doesn't work that way. It's the different transmit frequencies and RF power needed to reach the satellite that prevent you from using your smart phone as a satellite phone. Your cell phone works on a much lower power than a satellite phone. Your cell phone is actually only communicating with a local tower which then sends your call/text/web browser out through its network. Which is why your cellphone usually loses service out in the boonies, it lost a line of sight to a local tower. Satellite phones communicate directly with the satellite which requires more power and I think they transmit at a higher frequency, which is why even today's satellite phones have a 1980's style flip antenna.

GPS is different. It is a passive/receive only system. You're not transmitting to the GPS satellite, only receiving its data. Your smart phone may be capable of GPS if it has a GPS antenna installed.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Wyo67

Postby ST52V » 05 14, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Instead of buying a chip for your gps that shows land status ect. You can buy an app from them for your smart phone and it does the same thing. Keep your phone turned of when not in use and then run it in airplane mode when you do turn it on to use as gps. Just down load the map for your area when you have wifi. You should get a few days out of your battery this way. I also carry the new trent battery pack that will charge my phone at least 5-6 times.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Toby » 05 15, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Robin, good tips. Where did you get your battery charger and what was the cost?
Toby

Postby ST52V » 05 15, 2014 •  [Post 11]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZBZ64 ... ot_redir=1
This is the one I have and it is a great price! I paid at least double for it . I actual bought it for the wife for Christmas so she could keep things charged while traveling and sitting all day at my daughters swim meets. Ha ha
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Toby » 05 16, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Thanks ST.
Toby

Postby Huntmaster » 06 03, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Nice.
Huntmaster

First Name: Scott
Last Name: Homrich

Postby twinkieman » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Great info! For guys like me that have a smartphone (but really don't know how to use it for anything other than talking), this thread has been extremely informative. Thanks!
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby dierwolf » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 15]

you can jailbreak a smart phone and install any software you want if you have a few hundred bucks to spend on an unflashed phone. basically you are turning an unprogrammed cell phone into a small tablet pc running Linux. its legality is questionable and there are lots of alternatives, so I don't actually recommend doing that, but you can.
dierwolf

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Schneider

Postby dierwolf » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 16]

oh and btw UHF-Satcom generally refers to frequencies between 240MHz and 270MHz, whereas, there are a number of different frequency bands up to and including the same 240 range as Satcom that can and are used for cellular communications networks.

EDIT: For the truly nerdy, a google search yielded this wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies
dierwolf

Postby Toby » 06 04, 2014 •  [Post 17]

I am thankful that I can use my smart phone for something besides talking/texting, which I don't do much of anyway. Makes the cost a little easier to deal with.
Toby

Postby dierwolf » 06 05, 2014 •  [Post 18]

for sure, they can be quite handy little devices if you have a specific use like this one.
dierwolf

Postby Charina » 04 06, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Yeah, I know, the thread is about a year old now. Thought it best to add to this one rather than start a new one.

I carry a GPS with me, but only as a backup to my phone. I set a waypoint on it for camp, and for where I park, but then have never touched it again. My phone does so much more than any dedicated device I have ever touched - but I also haven't played with some of the latest and greatest GPS devices, so my perspective is limited.

First, I add an extended battery to the phone that will last three full days of moderate/heavy use (be sure to put it in airplane mode). And I add a outdoors-worthy case.

Then, I use the app Maverick. It's the only app I've ever paid for, and its well worth the $4.99 IMO. The satellite images can be downloaded for offline use, it has all the functionality I need for a hunting GPS, and I sync it with Google Earth on my computer, so I always have a backup copy, and can modify data on the computer. I've been using it for 3 years now, and unless a GPS comes out that has the same GPS capabilities, PLUS, Evernote to keep a journal/log on, and can text home to check in when I get to the Mt top and get a signal, I can't imagine ever going to a dedicated GPS device. On my Samsung S3, the location is found very quickly, and highly repeatable (evidencing high accuracy). The two previous phones I had were also very quick and accurate.

It doesn't have Topo as a standard option, but the tech savy that have a digital topo can include it as a custom map.
Charina

Postby Charina » 04 06, 2015 •  [Post 20]

Screen shot of a spot I was exploring and marking up last fall where a north facing fir/aspen bedding area faced a pinion pine hillside that was used as a travel route between bed and breakfast during pressured times.

Maverick GPS Screenshot800.jpg
Maverick GPS Screenshot800.jpg (103.65 KiB) Viewed 17040 times
Charina

Postby michiganelkfever » 05 09, 2015 •  [Post 21]

I swear by trimble...works great and does everything necessary...dont let anyone tell u it doesnt work...its awesome...battery in galaxy s5 lasts entire day, but i keep an energizer power boost stick to re charge phone if needed
2014 Hoyt Faktor 84#...rage hypodermic, full metal jacket
michiganelkfever

Postby BRazz » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 22]

michiganelkfever wrote:I swear by trimble...works great and does everything necessary...dont let anyone tell u it doesnt work...its awesome...battery in galaxy s5 lasts entire day, but i keep an energizer power boost stick to re charge phone if needed

I carry my smartphone as a GPS and love it. I use Trimble also. I turn on airplane mode and limit usage to when I need it (but I'm not crazy about it since I also carry a spare battery), and my phone lasts several days in the backcountry before needing the spare. Even more than all that, I love Trimble's online interface(create or edit maps, routes and waypoints directly via your PC, then sync to your phone). Or I can export the data from my phone to Google Earth and view it that way.

I also use the SD card slot to use my phone for viewing my game camera pictures.

And I text my wife from time to time.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby IdahoKel » 05 15, 2015 •  [Post 23]

I also use the Trimble app on my iPhone. It's all I ever use anymore. I have a Garmin but just keep it as a backup. The maps are way better (and free) on my phone. Since it's not really built to be used in rugged/rainy conditions, I keep it in a small plastic ziplock bag. Touch screen works fine through it. Only downside is if you run out of battery life you're pretty much hosed until you get back to the truck.
IdahoKel

First Name: Kel

Postby Raghorn_Reaper » 05 17, 2015 •  [Post 24]

I have to figure out my battery options as well as a way to charge it in the backcountry.
Raghorn_Reaper

Postby michiganelkfever » 05 27, 2015 •  [Post 25]

All you have to do is buy power boosters to recharge phone...u can get good ones for 15 dollars and they give u about 16 hrs. Each....i take my phone and a couple boosters and that lasts the entire week no problem. They are only about 3" long and less than 1" wide so they dont take up much room and they have a usb connection so u can just take your charger end from your phone with u. The boosters are rechargeable also if u end up back at the truck for any reason
michiganelkfever

Postby Raghorn_Reaper » 05 28, 2015 •  [Post 26]

Great stuff guys! You have me rethinking using my android. Think I am going to ditch my small GPS handheld.

Does anyone use an emergency beacon app instead of a dedicated beacon device?
Raghorn_Reaper

Postby Mike_Parson » 06 01, 2015 •  [Post 27]

i am trying an app called HuntStand. It is a phone companion to the website Huntstand.com . it does not do the land owner overlay but it does use several of the Google earth maps and some road maps. I have used it up in Unit 34 in Nm while scouting for sign and elk this year and i love it. i just pull out my phone and open the app and i mark whatever i am seeing on the map after it sinronizes with the GPS. then when i get back to civilaization i sync the phone app with the online one and i can review all i found on my computer or tablet. I can even share my maps with my hunting companions so they can see what i have found while i was scouting and they do the same for me. It is a free app and it works for me. I bough an external battery to carry with me in my pack and i amso have a solar charger to charge the external if i need to. i can charge my phone 7 times over with the external before it goes dead and it only weights 11oz.
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
Mike_Parson

Postby erle1139 » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 28]

Mike,

Have you used it offline, where you get no cell service? I'm looking for a new app to use this year. I won't have cell service in my area, but I want to be able to see aerial photo overlays as well topo maps.
erle1139

Postby Mike_Parson » 06 03, 2015 •  [Post 29]

Yes i have used it 2 times already this year on scouting trips and i got no service at all up on the mountains. I go online the day before and i zoom in on the phone to the areas i want to scout and it saves the images in the cashe of the phone, the app says it keeps the maps in the storage for 30 days but its just safer to do it the day or so before. then while im out scouting if i find a rub or sign or water and such i just open the app on the phone and mark my location once the GPS logs in. i had even premarked some stuff i wanted to make sure to check out and i was able to see where they were from my current location so i was able to get to my intended areas with no trouble at all. I have even installed it on my kids phones so if they go out hiking and feel lost they can open the app and pinpoint the camps location from where they are.

the app has several map overlays as well to use.

I really like that the app lets you share info with other people and you can install it on several devices like phones or tablets. this way my hunting partners can see what i have scouted already and then we dont double up on the time in the field seeing the same things while looking for new stuff. we can even sit in front of our computers and talk on the phones and discuss things and both see the same stuff on our screens.
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead

100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
Mike_Parson

Postby Tigger » 06 04, 2015 •  [Post 30]

For those of you using Trimble, are you using the Free version or the Elite version? The Elite starts at $3/month it looks like. I cant figure out how to get maps in there any other way.....am I doing something wrong? So far, I have only used it a little but it seems awkward.
Tigger

Postby Charina » 06 04, 2015 •  [Post 31]

I downloaded Trimble to give it a try. I didn't have any problem viewing topo maps, and verified they were available offline when I switched to airplane mode. I didn't pay, and didn't do anything special. So something might be wrong with your install, or it's not compatible with your device.

I like a couple things about Trimble, esp the topo maps being the default (whereas in Maverick, one has to manually upload topos as a custom map - Microsoft virtual earth, and road maps are available defaults in Maverick). The distance measuring feature was a little more intuitive than how I use Maverick to measure between two points, but not a significant difference. What I didn't like about Trimble was the difficulty of marking spots where I was not currently at. And the habitual rezooming to where I actually was (at my office desk) rather than staying on the screen of the topos I was trying to look at for my hunting area.

I like to lay in bed for a few min at night in camp, and review the satellite/topo images on my phone when contemplating the next day's gameplan. Or, sitting down mid-day and reformulating a plan for where I'll go next. From the limited time I spent in Trimble, I don't see it being nearly as good for this purpose. I see it as being more of a 'mark where you are, and be able to get back to there' app. Good app, but I'm going to stick with Maverick for what I see as greater functionality. Plus, I've got a few gigs of satellite images of my hunting areas already downloaded to my phone, and I don't want to have to pay for complete topo downloads. Trimble seems like a way to sell a product as much as it is a product in and of itself.

In the end, it just might be a difference between what one starts with and becomes familiar with.
Charina

Postby erle1139 » 06 04, 2015 •  [Post 32]

Thanks for the response Mike. I'm going to take a look at it.
erle1139

Postby Tigger » 06 06, 2015 •  [Post 33]

I cannot get it to go to the cursor. Man this is frustrating. If I manually look somewhere I cannot get back unless I happen to know which way to go. Even then the cursor doesn't show up where I know I am. So far, I wouldn't trust this to get me to my mailbox.
Tigger

Postby michiganelkfever » 06 24, 2015 •  [Post 34]

Tigger...try the trimble...u will not be disappointed...u can download offline maps by state or even by gmu if u dont want to store the entire state...its a great app that i use elk hunting with no cell service and it is very handy and accurate...shows public and private it different shades.. tracks your progress..marks waypoints camp animals etc.
michiganelkfever

Postby Tigger » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 35]

I do have the Trimble. The free version. I went to the area where I would be with no cell reception to get the maps in memory when I had reception. The next day when I got there...no maps whatsoever so it was worthless. I must be doing something wrong, because no one in their right mind would use what I am experiencing.

How do you get the maps in the phone on the free version? Right now I am bracing for someone to point out my stupidity...... :oops:
Tigger

Postby Mike_Parson » 06 25, 2015 •  [Post 36]

Tigger, i went and downloaded the Trimble to see what it was all about. i also did the free version. as it was downloading i was reading some of the stuff on google play about it. it does state you have to get the PRO version to get the map cashing so that might be why the maps didnt stay in the program for you. Once its downloaded ill try it out and see if i get the same results as you did and let you know. but i am thinking the free version is a lite version and they want you to buy it to fully use it.
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead

100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
Mike_Parson

Postby michiganelkfever » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 37]

Sorry tigger...i should have mentioned that small detail! Lol. Yes u do need the elite version to download the maps....its like 30$ a year...i am from michigan and only get out to my hunting hole in colorado in june and september so i just pay the 3$ for a monthly membership thise 2 months.....its well worth the 6$ i promise u....if i lived out there i would pay the 30$ for the year absolutely!
michiganelkfever

Postby Raghorn_Reaper » 06 27, 2015 •  [Post 38]

I am using the Back Country Navigator app for android and I really like it thus far. I run it on my Note 3 and it is great. I did try Trimble but gravitated towards Bc navigator. For this you also need to purchase it in order to use maps offline.
Raghorn_Reaper

Postby CrawfordsGhost » 06 30, 2015 •  [Post 39]

I have been using Gaia GPS on my iPhone for 3 years now. It allows you to download specific sections of maps while on wifi (topo, google image...) and in the field you can use it in airplane mode so the battery lasts a long time. It will auto-download and cache maps if you have a signal, but I don't count on that. It does cost about $20 (one time purchase) but it has been well worth it for me. I have zero complaints with it. Not sure if they make an android version.
CrawfordsGhost

Postby G5Archer » 06 30, 2015 •  [Post 40]

Tigger wrote:I do have the Trimble. The free version. I went to the area where I would be with no cell reception to get the maps in memory when I had reception. The next day when I got there...no maps whatsoever so it was worthless. I must be doing something wrong, because no one in their right mind would use what I am experiencing.

How do you get the maps in the phone on the free version? Right now I am bracing for someone to point out my stupidity...... :oops:

Yeah you need the Pro version in order to download maps into your phone.
G5Archer

First Name: Marcial
Last Name: Perez

Postby Mike_Parson » 07 01, 2015 •  [Post 41]

i just have to repeat that i LOVE the HuntStand program. its free and it keeps the maps in your phone cache for 30 days after you access them from a network. plus the sharing of maps is easy as well.

best of luck to everyone hunting this year....
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead

100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
Mike_Parson

Postby Chellky » 07 05, 2015 •  [Post 42]

I just did a ton of research on this and I went with Gaia GPS. I have a Iphone 6 and it seems this app works best with that. So far it works great. I can download a map in topo or satellite image and use it off line in airplane mode. From what I understand and Im not sure about this yet as Im still figuring it out is you have to pay the subscription price to download the maps to google earth or cal topo. But I will know more about that once seasons tarts and I mark some stuff.

For the Andriod phones it seems guys like backcountry navigator gps app.

So far the Gaia is working great.

Crawfords ghost have you downloaded maps before to google earth or cal topo? Ones with way points marked? This what I really want is to use the computer for scouting then mark up maps then download them to the phone. Then after I put more info in them take them back to the computer. I think with Gaia I can do this from what I have read but havent figured it all out yet.
Chellky

First Name: Chuck
Last Name: J