Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What should I upgrade on my bow setup next?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What should I upgrade on my bow setup next?

Postby Kessler10 » 03 04, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Is it worth the $120 to buy a Tight Spot Quiver? I have 2013 PSE Brute X and it came with a quiver of course. Its basic but does the trick. Holds my arrows just fine.
I have upgraded pretty much everything on my bow: $250 site, $70 stabilizer, $80 on new strings/cables, etc (adds up quick). But have not upgraded my quiver.

I thought about upgrading and would go with the Tight Spot Quiver. But is it really worth the money? I am either going to upgrade my arrows to Eastons, or upgrade my quiver to Tight Spot. But not both. I currently am shooting the Beman ICS Hunter arrows.

What would you do and why?

Thanks!
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: What should I upgrade on my bow setup next?

Postby timberland » 03 04, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Ishi says its not the bow but the arrows that are important. I'd upgrade the arrows. I don't think any quiver is worth $120, at least until I have more disposable income.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 05, 2015 •  [Post 3]

In my opinion if you feel that you need to upgrade something, I would suggest the arrows also.
8upbowhunter

Postby Rangerz » 03 05, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I like the looks of the Tight Spot Quiver but would only get one if I needed a new quiver.

In your position I would probably do the arrows. As stated you can't go wrong with good ammo.
Rangerz

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Poole

Postby pointysticks » 03 05, 2015 •  [Post 5]

i might be the only archer that doesnt love my tightspot. mine is kinda loud. it rattles. the hood is two pieces. there is a hood within a hood. mine rattles there. i had to take super thin foam and cut a sheet and stuff it in between. it works now. but i cant believe i had to address noise on such an expensive quiver. next problem. my arrows, Gold tip Velocity XT 300's tend to slide down the quiver over time. what happens then is the arrowhead isnt stuffed into the hood tight anymore and guess what? yup, more rattling. i have tightened those allens. i think there is a point of diminishing returns on those allens. it wont grip tighter after a certian point. brand new arrows seem to hold tighter.

i LIKE my tightspot. it has the coolest release method. a cool machined lever! i love the adjustability!! the bow balances better than with another quiver cantilevered further out.

if it were my money..NOTHING was a bigger game changer than getting a single shooting lesson. i am such a better shot..okay, maybe not "better", but i am so consistent. the guy eliminated my punchy trigger. he taught me how to use backtension to let the trigger push against my finger to fire. what a game changer!!!

i got free lessons when i bought my Elite bow. but knowing what i know now, i should have paid the guy from the beginning.

in the beginning, i wasnt a good enough shot, not consistent enough to realize what any component change was doing or not doing. i had to fix my shooting first. very similar to trying to tune or sight a bow on an "off day" of shooting. waste of time.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby zpd307 » 03 05, 2015 •  [Post 6]

i am looking to upgrade to a tight spot quiver. my buddy got one right away a couple of years ago. i couldnt justify the money for one. this last year i actually got into a bunch of elk and found that while setting up for them, my arrows, which stuck out down passed my cam were hitting the ground. and made lots of noise..... holding your bow in ready mode is very tiresome for any length of time. it helps a ton to rest your bow on the ground even for a little bit. i found myself setting up while kneeling or sitting on a log. after many days of carrying the bow while hunting, my arms were always tired. then add in the excitement of working an elk. holding a bow up in the ready position was hard.... i want the tight spot so that i can reast on the cam instead of the arrows.....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby timberland » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 7]

zpd307 wrote:i am looking to upgrade to a tight spot quiver. my buddy got one right away a couple of years ago. i couldnt justify the money for one. this last year i actually got into a bunch of elk and found that while setting up for them, my arrows, which stuck out down passed my cam were hitting the ground. and made lots of noise..... holding your bow in ready mode is very tiresome for any length of time. it helps a ton to rest your bow on the ground even for a little bit. i found myself setting up while kneeling or sitting on a log. after many days of carrying the bow while hunting, my arms were always tired. then add in the excitement of working an elk. holding a bow up in the ready position was hard.... i want the tight spot so that i can reast on the cam instead of the arrows.....

There are adjustable quivers that might accomplish what you're looking for. Check out Alpine Bear Claw and Soft-loc.
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby idahoghost » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I've had a Tight Spot for more than 4 years now. Can't find a bad thing to say about it. It's a great quiver. Expensive, but great. Easy on, easy off, quiet, and holds the shafts very tight regardless of size. It's great, but expensive. Haven't tried any others, so I can't really compare it to any other. Did I say it was expensive, but great? Arrows are more important than the quiver, the quiver won't help your accuracy, good arrows will. Good arrows also bring your confidence level up, not sure a quiver can do that.

2-cents.......and more
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Wondermutt » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 9]

I have two and will not buy another. The first one rattles and I have tried everything to quiet it down, no dice.

The second one has a plastic insert where the tip rest into. Its stapled to the outer quiver. It keeps coming loose. I called thy mfg about the noise of the first and the inner plastic keeper of the second, and they told me to glue it in.... the first one they tell me its the bow not the quiver..... really.....

I bought a Trophy Ridge quiver, a dozen Gold Tip arrows and a pkg of Shuttle T's for my son for Christmas and I was still $$$ ahead of buying the tightspot. Don't get me wrong, the TS quiver is nice, but their customer service is not. And for that I will never buy another.
Wondermutt

Postby elkaholic » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 10]

I'd go with new arrows first. I have a tight spot and really like it but the arrows are what you are sending down range.. Get the best you can.
Get out earlier, go farther, stay longer..KEEP HAMMERING

2014 Bowtech RPM 360 70#-MBG Ascent 3 pin
2005 Mathews Switchback 70# - MBG Rush 7 pin
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby razorback » 03 06, 2015 •  [Post 11]

I love my Tightspot quiver. It's why I now shoot with my quiver on. I've never had an issue with it but I'll be honest I had always bought cheap quivers up until I bought that one. I mainly bought it because I knew I was going to be elk hunting with it and didn't want to lose arrows like I had with some of my old quivers. I also didn't want to have to take my quiver off every time I set up. With all of that said, good arrows are important too. I was lucky and got a good deal on Easton Axis arrows ($2 per shaft) so I saved a ton of money. I have shot the arrows you are shooting and I thought they were good arrows, never had an issue with them. It's a tough decision but for my money the TS quiver was a big payoff for me. It keeps the nocks out of the dirt and balances my bow well and is quiet. Like I said I had no experience with anything other than cheap quivers so I may have been easily impressed.
"Never quit. It is the easist cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit"-Bear Bryant
razorback

First Name: Steven
Last Name: Burch

Postby pointysticks » 03 07, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Wondermutt wrote:I have two and will not buy another. The first one rattles and I have tried everything to quiet it down, no dice.

The second one has a plastic insert where the tip rest into. Its stapled to the outer quiver. It keeps coming loose. I called thy mfg about the noise of the first and the inner plastic keeper of the second, and they told me to glue it in.... the first one they tell me its the bow not the quiver..... really.....

I bought a Trophy Ridge quiver, a dozen Gold Tip arrows and a pkg of Shuttle T's for my son for Christmas and I was still $$$ ahead of buying the tightspot. Don't get me wrong, the TS quiver is nice, but their customer service is not. And for that I will never buy another.

At the bow range today my bow was loud. Slipped the TS off and it got quiet. They said to glue it? Any details? I might try it. It's making me crazy. I have a new tube of clear silicone I'll try. Maybe I'll call them Monday first.
pointysticks

Postby razorback » 03 08, 2015 •  [Post 13]

My TS has a rubber piece in the hood, not a foam insert like my sons. I noticed it was kind of loose but didn't seems to make a noise. I pulled it out one day and used some 3M weather adhesive on it. I don't think it's going anywhere.
"Never quit. It is the easist cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit"-Bear Bryant
razorback

First Name: Steven
Last Name: Burch

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 08, 2015 •  [Post 14]

We use Tight Spot quivers with zero issues, love them!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 03 09, 2015 •  [Post 15]

Mine is currently sitting on my bench. I have it clamped tight while the silicone sets. Hope this works. No going back now.
pointysticks

Postby chipick » 03 10, 2015 •  [Post 16]

I broke my quiver the first year out and ended up making a splint for it with some branches and electrical tape. A buddy of mine told me a story about quivers when he first started archery hunting, it went like this.

"Me and the other two guys were busting through some brush over a hill, and took a break, one of the guys was giving me a hard time about my tight spot spending all that on a quiver, and that it was a waste of money. An hour later and at the next break, that guy had 4 less arrows, and I still had all mine".

My tight spot was $120 on eBay and I needed a quiver. A half dozen decent arrows wrapped/diped is the same price for me. I am fine losing arrows on failed shots at an animal but, it would ruin the day if one fell out of my quiver
I think the tight spot is worth it even if you need to deaden it out a bit.
chipick