Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY gear repair: Do U Shoe Goo?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY gear repair: Do U Shoe Goo?

Postby Elkduds » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Once I find gear I really like, I try to make it last. And last. Today was shoe repair day. These boots are 15 :!: year old
Redwings. Last year the left one lost waterproofness. I replaced them and they retired to the shed, waiting for dry trails. Guess I missed them. I found a 1/4" cut in the goretex lining where the orthotic footbed touched the toe. I started building up layers of Shoe Goo over the cut inside the boot toe. 4 layers later, it is again waterproof. I don't know how long it will last but it is fixed for awhile.
001small.jpg
001small.jpg (231.95 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

Shoe Goo smells and looks like plastic model glue. It dries to a whiteish rubber scab. Today I Gooed worn gaps in 2 pr of mesh hiking shoes, and resealed some places where the Redwing sole are separating from the leather uppers, I have patched rafts, waders, car weatherstripping, neoprene, ATV saddles and grips, CV boots and clothing w Goo.

What are your McGyver go-tos for gear repair while in camp or on the workbench?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Re: DIY gear repair: Do U Shoe Goo?

Postby Lefty » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I use Sho-Goo and plumbers Goop to fix all sorts of stuff.
Walmart is the cheapest place to buy it. My wife gave me 3 tubes for Christmas :P
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Ridgernr » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 3]

What did you use to clean the area before applying the goo? Lots of Obenhaufs sealer on my boots.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Elkduds » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Alcohol on a rag. Toothbrush for the crevices. Nylon mesh has so many surfaces I don't know how clean I got it.

Is Obenhauf's good stuff?
Elkduds

Postby Ridgernr » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Thanks I just picked up some Goo, Obenhaufs is the best I have found , a logger buddy of mine told me about , If anyone would know he would.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Elkduds » 01 25, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Looked up Obenhauf's. Did you use the oil and the LP both? The leather on these Redwings needs more help than the SnoSeal I used on them since they were new.

The Goo is for repairs, like Uber silicone adhesive.
Elkduds

Postby BrentLaBere » 01 26, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I was looking for something to repair my boots. This might just be it! Thanks for the post.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby pointysticks » 01 26, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Elkduds wrote:Looked up Obenhauf's. Did you use the oil and the LP both? The leather on these Redwings needs more help than the SnoSeal I used on them since they were new.

The Goo is for repairs, like Uber silicone adhesive.

I just use the tub. I think it is the LP. Your hands will never be so soft! I use it on everything. I just did on the tiny bit of leather on my bow sling. It's softer and quieter. It used to squeak some. I know a guy that used it on his leather plunger on his vintage Coleman lantern. It's great stuff. A tub is gonna last me a long time.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 01 26, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Boot repair. One guy fell asleep with his boots up against a fire. His boot sole separated and was only attached at the heel and toe box. The middle sole blistered and came loose. We laughed and pointed but soon realized we were 50 miles back in! He was screwed! We were screwed! We took para cord and wrapped it up. Around and around. Like bow serving. We even burned a knot in. His boots never missed a beat. He hiked for nine days! Shoe goo would have been way better!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 27, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Kind of like Cliff's story. I hunt with a guy who's father left his Danner's on the woodpile too close to the stove in their wall tent many, many years ago. Well, the leather boots actually slipped off the soles (melted) and were quite a mess when they got up in the morning. The old boy re-heated up the rubber soles till they were gooey again, placed the leather boots back on them, and drove the front tires of his truck on both boots and left em there for an hour or so. Result was that he wore those same boots for many more years.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ