Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Sight?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Sight?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 23, 2014 •  [Post 1]

OK, enough inexpensive sights for me. It seems like the lower priced sights I've been using for the past handfull of years eventually break (normally, one of the fiber optic pins break out of it's housing). I suppose it's time I spend the money to get something that is both functional for my style of hunting, and, more resistant to alder and huckleberry brush attacks.

What do you cats recommend for a good hunting sight and why? Thanks. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hunting Sight?

Postby pointysticks » 10 23, 2014 •  [Post 2]

a bow sight?

i've only used two brands. Spot Hogg, and Montana Black Gold.

both seem bullet-proof. they are both scratched up a bit, so i know i hit them against things. i find the MBG less easy to sight in, with the SH the more gimicky, but easy to sight. BUT when you get it right, you rarely have to fuss with it again, so i think the MBG is fine. you sight in the MBG, tighten down all the allens and nothing moves.

my SH had this awesome pair of allen screws that you twist to move..no glide the sight to adjust elevation or windage. once done, you just quit touching it. it never moves, but there is no mechanical lock..so it could move..somehow.

my MBG is lighter. both even in pin brightness. EVEN! i can hold them up side by side.

to be honest, i only switched sights because i wanted to try a slider with 3 pins..which is a fantastic option for my type of western shooting.

my last pin i ordered in 0.10"..which was stupid!! it is way less bright. ironically in dim light it is fine..it is when the target is awashed in light.that tiny pin gets blown out. the bigger 0.19" pins above it are still visible. i might send it in for a switch..i called it may cost me anywhere from $0 -$17,,depending on the tech's mood. (his words, not mine)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby zpd307 » 10 23, 2014 •  [Post 3]

my spott hog hasn't failed yet.....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 23, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Cliff, Gary.... what models do you guys have of the MBG and SH's? I'm not interested at this point in a slider but really only a hard post 5 pin sight. Thanks for chiming in with your recommendations. Really appreciated. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 10 23, 2014 •  [Post 5]

my spot hogg is a "hunter hogg-it". 7-pins. you can get a 5-pin. i'm 99% sure, they replaced the "7-deadly pins" with my sight.

my MBG is a hybrid. i got it out of their custom shop. (very confusing stuff). i got the Vengance mount, with the Ascent sight. gives me 3rd axis adjustment.

i think i just saw a super clean 5 pin Hunter hogg it at Rokslide classifieds. mine is an older model. they improved them with something they called BULLETPROOF pins or something catchy like that.
pointysticks

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Paul Jr & I have used the Montana Gold Ascent 3-pin sight with the dial on it, it's good to around 100 yds, very nice sight, we've had it 3-4 years now with zero issues.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Hunting Sight?

Postby pointysticks » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 7]

ElkNut1 wrote:Paul Jr & I have used the Montana Gold Ascent 3-pin sight with the dial on it, it's good to around 100 yds, very nice sight, we've had it 3-4 years now with zero issues.

ElkNut1

Love this sight. Mine is the same. There was a learning curve to remember to think about the dial/peek at the sight tape. But I think I have burned it into the routine.

Last weekend I shot an arrow at 100, jogged to get it, jogged back, loaded and fired again. Just to see what I could do at that range with elevated breathing and heart rate. I credit the awesomeness to the sight.
pointysticks

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 24, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Thank you guys. Gives me some options to consider.
WapitiTalk1

Postby twinkieman » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 9]

RJ, both Spot Hogg, and Montana gold offer custom built sights on their websites also.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby itsnlkthing » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 10]

I have the mbg ascent with dial as well. I love it but I also did the .010 on the last pin and don't recommend it unless you have young eyes. I will be sending mine in to get the change to .019 done.
itsnlkthing

First Name: Steve
Last Name: DeWeese

Postby pointysticks » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 11]

itsnlkthing wrote:I have the mbg ascent with dial as well. I love it but I also did the .010 on the last pin and don't recommend it unless you have young eyes. I will be sending mine in to get the change to .019 done.

X1000!

Me too:(
pointysticks

Postby Kevrod3 » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 12]

SH Hogg-it for me with the Sure Loc ext bracket. I have the .10 pins for all 5 pins on the extra hogg-it wrap. They definitely aren't even close to as bright as my friends MBG surge sigh( .19) I was really interested in the 3 pin slider MBG site, but just couldn't justify spending more money when I already had $275 in my SH. May look to sell it this winter after deer season in Ohio. Glad to hear you guys like the MBG Sliders. Would like to push my range past the 65 yard mark.
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Appreciate all the input gentlemen; I really do.
WapitiTalk1

Postby TheBuzz » 12 02, 2014 •  [Post 14]

"...if Life's a race to the finish line, just soon be last..."
TheBuzz

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Hovorka

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Love my Montana Black Gold Dusk Devil.

One thing I like about that company is they back up their product. I don't care of you run it over with your truck they will give you a new one. If your model is obsolete they'll give you the latest comparable model. Guaranteed for life and I can't say enough about their customer service.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby COhoythunter » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I have the Spot Hogg Real Deal 5 pin on both my bows. I refuse to use anything else. It is very well made, bullet proof and light weight. I considered the 7 pin, but I have my 5 pin sighted in for 30-40-50-60-70 yrds. No need for any more pins.
Hoyt Spyder ZT Turbo- 72#/28'' . SOLID Broadhead 100 grn. Easton A/C/C ProHunter 426grns- 300 fps-85 KE.
COhoythunter

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2014 •  [Post 17]

had a chance to learn more about my MBG custom ascent. here is what i think the spot hogg has over it.

the bubble level. you have to make sure it is plumb in the housing. mine moved along the way and everything else i set according to it, had to be redone. i found the tiny allens loose!! it is a PIA to plumb up the bubble level. why? it is very difficult to find a constant flat edge (on the sight). there is the tiniest one on the outside in front of the fiber optic cover. it is pretty thin and holding a carpenter's bullet level on it..you will cuss some :) once i got that back perfect..i had set my 2nd axis. the spot hog has two allens you work back and forth (like a see-saw) which makes leveling this easy. on the MBG, you have a slotted hole you have to push the housing to and fro. believe me, you will be chasing this a bit. i past the perfect spot coming and going..more cussing. now i got it perfect.

3rd axis. the 3rd axis adjustment on a MBG sucks compared to the spot hogg. the SH you have another pair of allens and you get to do that see-saw opposing screw adjustment. it is awesome, and you can make tiny movements. the MBG has one bigger allen on the right side, and a tiny "lock screw" on the other. you basically have to find the location with the big one and then try to get the tiny one to push some pressure from the other side.

bottom line..once set up, i feel the sights are comparable. set up? whoa..Spot hogg all the way.

holding up both sights..the pin brightness is awful close. too difficult to pick a winner. the MBG is clearly lighter.

i shouldnt have spent too much time with it. i think i am going to send in my MBG to change that 0.10" RED, third pin to a 0.19" green. i will then have
GRN
YELLOW
GRN

all 0.19". i was fooling myself thinking my eyes can see a 0.10" :(
pointysticks