Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Map Inventory

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Map Inventory

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

What do you cats have in your hard copy map inventory for your primary and surrounding hunting area(s) in (insert state here)? Just curious. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Map Inventory

Postby foxvalley » 08 03, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I have all the topo maps for the entire panhandle of ID, I believe they are 1- 24000 scale. I don't take them with me, but have them all together on one of my walls in my house. I don't hunt most of it, but it sure is cool to see how the panhandle lays out.
I have one map that stays in my pack all the time,it is a waterproof map 1-35000 scale,made by elk camp.com,and covers more than my entire hunting erea.( 5 different peaks) For all the time I have had this map, I can't believe how well it has stayed together,LOL.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Lefty » 08 03, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Lots of maps
Gazzeters For Idaho Utah Wyoming and Montana ( pretty sure there are four )
ATV trail maps Forest Service Maps for all of SE Idaho a bit into Montana, Northern Utah and Western Idaho, I might still have South Dakotas public land map and NW Nebraska
I spend a lot of time on Idaho Fish and Game map program
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 03, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Yep, similar for me; the quad maps (7.5 minute) 1:24000 for my main and adjoining areas are packed and taken on each hunting adventure. I'll take the map/maps that apply to the area I'll be hunting during a given day; I use them a lot. I have National Forest maps for each NF I hunt; they're nice for an overall view and show campgrounds, facilities, old cabins, lookouts, etc. I also have USFS Ranger District maps and any associated road closure map for the RD hunted in my truck; the RD maps are very good for showing old, perhaps even grown over, logging roads. The RD maps oftentimes show old pack trails on them also.

Yep, I like maps ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby foxvalley » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Maps are way cool phantom!
I like to compare my topo map with GE at the same time, seems to give me a new dimention on things.
Also, lefty, wasn't it you who mentioned the new ID mapping system, thanks, VERY cool.
I find most of my wallows,and some really good saddle crossings with my maps, and always have at least half dozen spots picked out for exploration that look good.
foxvalley

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Fox Valley,
I was doing the same thing, comparing GE with my topo's. Then, I found a way to overlay GE with a topo map that one can switch back and forth with one mouse click, from a 3D topo to aerial GE view. It's changed computer scouting for me. Hopefully later today I can start a thread up on how to do it. It's ridiculously awesome.
I also have the CO gazette, USGS 7.5 maps, and waaaayyy to many 11x17 enlarged marked up topo, USFS, aerial, and other maps that I printed off myself, with notes, highlighted areas, hunt plans/routes, etc. I'm a map junkie. I met with the guys I am going with, and showed them several areas that I plan on hunting when I am with them that in nearly 30 years they had never even considered, and they are excited to have me with them, as I'm already showing them things that they've never explored. Being from KS, I don't have a benefit of B.O.G. scouting, so I kill a lot of free time looking for that one contour line that I think is promising.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby foxvalley » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Sounds awesome Mikeha33,I'll be looking for the thread, thanks.
foxvalley

Postby ishy » 08 04, 2014 •  [Post 8]

+1 Mikeha33. That does sound really good.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 05, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Guys, I started a thread under the Elk Hunting tab called 3D Google Earth that should walk you through uploading a topo overlay onto your GE, that you can turn off and on to go from satellite view straight to topo with one mouse click and keep the same view. It's pretty cool.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby crazyaboutelk » 09 09, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Guys there is also a tool to fade the opaqueness of a topo on and off in GE....meaning you can see GE through the topo.6
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Postby crazyaboutelk » 09 09, 2014 •  [Post 11]

left side tool bar
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Postby one_elk » 09 11, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Mikeha33 wrote:Fox Valley,
I was doing the same thing, comparing GE with my topo's. Then, I found a way to overlay GE with a topo map that one can switch back and forth with one mouse click, from a 3D topo to aerial GE view. It's changed computer scouting for me. Hopefully later today I can start a thread up on how to do it. It's ridiculously awesome.
I also have the CO gazette, USGS 7.5 maps, and waaaayyy to many 11x17 enlarged marked up topo, USFS, aerial, and other maps that I printed off myself, with notes, highlighted areas, hunt plans/routes, etc. I'm a map junkie. I met with the guys I am going with, and showed them several areas that I plan on hunting when I am with them that in nearly 30 years they had never even considered, and they are excited to have me with them, as I'm already showing them things that they've never explored. Being from KS, I don't have a benefit of B.O.G. scouting, so I kill a lot of free time looking for that one contour line that I think is promising.

"Too many maps", not sure how one could have to many maps, or that may just be me and this map thing I have....
one_elk

Postby swmoelk » 09 18, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Mytopo gmu map for my area and my usgs quad with another aerial view quad. and the neighboring quad that borders me to the east. I have a dedicated hunting room so they stay pinned to the wall with my fishing maps and my Prince of Wales map from acme mapper.
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton