Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Boots, need advice.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Boots, need advice.

Postby Toby » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I have been using a couple pairs of old Danners for years, and they have served me well, although not the most water proof. I pretty much just use these for elk hunting and store them the rest of the year. I have done a lot of reading about boots, and it seems the more I read the more confused I get. I have been thinking about getting a higher class of boot, but maybe I should just get another set of Danners. I can't help think that I may be missing something. Looking for some good guidance.
Toby

Re: Boots, need advice.

Postby elkmtngear » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Once they start to leak...they lose their charm with me.

I just bought a pair of Lowa Renegades after Christmas. They are definitely the most comfortable boot right out of the box I've ever owned. Waterproofing so far is excellent (hope it lasts). Lightweight with great traction as well.

I did a lot of boot research on different forums before I bought them. Less than 200 bucks...so far I'm very happy with them.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby pointysticks » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 3]

whatever you buy..treat them well.

i've used danners all my life. i've recently gone with Schnee boots, and lowa as well. same renegades as above.

i researched conditioners, and got Obernaufs. for the first time, i bet the leathers can outlast the rest. the stuff is amazing.. a tub should last me my lifetime, if i dont keep doing EVERYONES shoes. i've coated everything. knife sheaths, axe sheaths..my belts, my calculator case.

cant help with the boots. i think my feet are different than your's ..we have different needs.

check out rokslide forum.. those guys are rabid about boots.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Elkduds » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Buy boots that fit. That is challenging in this on-line age. If you have a brand that has fit well, that is a good starting place. Your Danners are older, new models of the same brand and size may not fit like yours. Boot makers use a foot shape, called a last, to build their boots around. The boots that use a last closest to your actual foot shape, those will fit you best. The only way to know is to try them on, and then you still won't know how they will feel after 50 miles. Personally, I wear orthotic footbeds in my boots, so I try on new ones by wearing my hunting socks and replacing the factory footbeds with my orthotics. IMO, boots are the most important piece of hunting gear.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Jeff, where did you get your Lowa's? Pointy, how about your Obernaufs?
Toby

Postby Toby » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I found some Lowa Renegade GTX Mids on sale for $180.99 at hunting boots.com, Hunting Boots Superstore. Anybody ever do business with them?
Toby

Postby otcWill » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I just bought the Lowa Tech lite hunters from Lathrop and Sons. Best all around mountain boot I've ever had.
otcWill

Postby pointysticks » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Toby wrote:Jeff, where did you get your Lowa's? Pointy, how about your Obernaufs?

Obernaufs is a boot conditioner.

I use it on my bear tooth insulated boots. A good boot from a great company. Schnees. I was up front. They told me to try the boots on a hike. If they hurt, return them. Boots were not cheap. Nothing from Italy is. Probably too much boot for most hunts.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Toby wrote:Jeff, where did you get your Lowa's?

I just researched prices and shipping...but I think there were some holiday sales going on.

Here's an Amazon link for just over 200$ : http://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Mens-Renegad ... B005HUYU72
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Love my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. They are tough as nails but they need broken in properly which means 50 miles minimum. You wouldn't want to go hunting with them right out of the box. The steel shank is awesome for scaling the steep stuff and side hilling. One day I'm going to try their Hardscrabble Hikers.

FYI... do NOT take Obenauf's through the airlines. I "donated" an entire jar to the TSA. :cry:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I agree with what Elkduds wrote. I will only add that apparently Danner is using the same lasts they have used for years as the most recent pair I purchased fit the same as the first pair I purchased 20+ years ago.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby schnidy60 » 04 16, 2014 •  [Post 12]

X2 on the kenetreks!! Bought a pair last summer and broke them in proper. Plenty of support and served me well.
schnidy60

First Name: Nate
Last Name: Schneider

Postby Chukarhunter » 04 17, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I bought a pair of Crispi Nevada's last year. Used them on one deer hunt and multiple Chukar hunts.
They fit great (at least for my feet), and were comfortable right out of the box. Not cheap (paid $399), but they will probably be the last boots I'll ever need to buy....of course, I'm no spring chicken any more :)
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill